Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Young Turks


Sassy red-head

What are you going to do with your extra second of daylight on this beautiful day? Use it wisely, but don't think about it too long 'cause time flies.
----
We had some decent fog cover this morning so I got the Pentax and went to the back porch where luckily there were still some icicles hanging from yesterday. The sun was low and directly in my face, giving me a rare opportunity to try some shots like I've been wanting to make for years. I did my thing and went back inside for coffee and to see if I had anything decent. As I was off-loading the pics from the memory card, three wild turkeys came strolling from behind the Escape which is parked up front during this snow event. I was able to retrieve my card, grab the camera and get one shot through the blinds, but it is not properly focused. By the time I got the auto-focus turned off, they had disappeared around the house. JJ got a few decent shots with my point-and-shoot Olympus before the three hens went into a thicket. These are the first wild turkeys I've seen in my yard, but other people say they been here before. I've had the 50mm prime lens on the dslr since the weather went crappy because it will stop to f/1.4 and is good for low-light. The icicle and fog shots were fair at best; this is one of those times a graduated neutral-density filter comes in handy, but I dont have one. Anyway, we now have lovely clear skies and the snow is melting.
----
I have to print a batch of invites for a family friend's funeral wedding. She is getting married in mid-January and will have her first baby in August. Maybe the baby will be born on my birthday. Maybe I better find out the exact date of the wedding.
----
This evening I will again journey to Fall Branch and Boones Creek with Carolyn to clean banks.
----
Have a super Tuesday!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Great picture of the woodpecker. Ours look a little different from that one but they too hold on to the birdfeeder and use their tail for balance. pretty funny to watch. We get turkeys regularly sorry you missed the shot.
Our robins come maybe about now until mid-January in DROVES. they don't seem to nest but just arrive to rest, fuel up, and bathe apparently. I can always tell they are here because I can hear them, 100's of them just all over the place singing and looking for anything edible. Maybe they do nest, I'll have to check my bird book on their migration patterns.

the ice photos were lovely this a.m.

Hope you stay warm as you amble out into the night.

yes, happy to have a job and shameful to complain I suppose. I just wish we weren't asked to put in more this week. It makes for a long day and an "unbalanced" me.

good luck w/ your invitations or headstone carving as it were.

Anonymous said...

Your woodpecker may be a red-bellied. This one was here for about a month last summer, then disappeared. He was boss while he was around.

That sounds about right for the robins; the males usually start arriving here in mid-February and stake out a claim on nest and food areas. The females come along 2 - 3 weeks later.

You didn't sound like you were complaining about work, just telling us about your life. That's why we have friends. :-)

Thanks, Tammy.

Blog Archive