Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Winds of change




Good Morning! Today we have weather and tonight promises to bring more of the same with seasonable temperatures. The forecast for the rest of the week calls for weather. The weekend is looking good with weather both Saturday and Sunday.

Doesn't tv weather forecasts suck? The words I wrote tell you nothing about the weather, yet some dildo of a "certified meteorologist" is going to waste ten minutes of your time each morning telling you something about which he hasn't a clue. My forecast is as good as his. Not only that, he will tell you the same thing three different times during a half-hour "news" program. You get in the car and turn the "classic rock" station on and here is the same guy telling you the same thing four times each half-hour. Freaking talking heads!

While I am bitching about entertainment, I have to ask if anyone in the world really listens to The John Boy and Billy Big Show on your classic rock FM station? What is it doing on stations which the beautiful—people like us—listen to anyway? It is so red-neck oriented it should be on country music stations with Toby Keith and Rush Limbaugh. Actually it was designed to be broadcast on country music FM stations, but the big-wigs (record producers) didn't want anything slightly controversial to stain the purity of the twang. Mom and pop might be listening and they are old and stupid and won't understand all the b.s. So, syndication went to rock stations where it fits like Sarah Palin at a gay pride rally.
----
The piece I recently penned about NASCAR is an example of what is wrong with today's news. Like CNN, Fox News and many others, it is based on a very little bit of real news and is directed at forming your opinion to match mine. Hope it didn't work on informed folk like you.
----
For the first time in my life, I forgot one of my children's birthdays; Sunday was Jerry's natal anniversary and I forgot it. I feel very, very old. The winds of change aren't always blowing in the direction we want to travel.
----

9 comments:

Tammy said...

Canned laughter of any sort is immediate grounds for me to hit the off button. Jim bob and idiot boy don't even make my radar. I wonder how they can sleep at night, schmucks.

Not to beat the dead horse on the culture of gypsies.."Bury Me Standing" by Isabel Fonseca is a wonderful book about the culture of these interesting folk. I have studied a little under the wing of a fabulous dancer who lived with the Turkish Rom for a while and no denials were made about the quick fingers of these folk by her.

Sometimes the National Geographic mag will give them an article too.

CNN news has become a joke. NPR is my source for news. How important is Tiger Woods really?

Happy weather on this Wednesday. We are having some serious weather too today.

Anonymous said...

Anytime I can learn about peoples whom are different than "us", I am all for it. We have a sub-culture in E. Tenn. called the Melungeons whom are an olive-skinned race of people whom don't know where they originally hailed from, when they got here, of anything else. They live deep in the mountains, and even Cherokee legend has no stories of them. Here is a pic: http://www.lisaalther.com/photos/05-melungeon-boys-.jpg

A tree just blew down in the neighbor's yard! We are having Weather! :-)

Have a good day, Tammy.

Tammy said...

Interesting photo of the 2 boys. It would be cool to know that story.

Anonymous said...

@ Tammy, I agree with you; there are talented Gypsies, really great artists (singers, dancers). But there are also quite ordinary Gypsies, rather poor, unemployed, not educated. In 90's a big group of Gypsies came to Poland ( to Warsaw) from Romania. And it was really problem, because they decided to live along the bank of the Vistula River and it was simply a camp; dirty, terrible place. We had to remove them from that camp; of course, doing it we respected human rights.
Tammy, there are different stories, some of which are v. sad. I remember we tried to save a little girl forced to be a bagger by his family. It was wonderful girl. Pretty and wise. My heart cried when eventually it turned out that she couldn't stay in Poland.

There is quite different situation of Polish Gypsies. We have for them projects of social integration, and it works well v. often.

I didn't know that Gypsies live also in the USA. It's interesting.

Happy Thursday to you, my friends. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll see if I can dig up some more on them, Tammy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola.

I did a quick google on "american gypsies" and briefly skimmed some articles. Some do not agree on where the American Families originally came from or just when they first arrived here. Some don't mind being referred to as gypsies, and some think the word is degrading and prefer the title which Tammy used; "Roma". I hope they are never forcibly incorporated into any society which will cause them to lose their identity, culture, and heritage. They are and should be wanderers. Any nomad anywhere in the world enjoys more freedom than do we whom consider ourselves free because a piece of paper (national constitution, etc.) says we are so.

Difficult sociological issues, for sure.

Have a great Thursday, dear friend.

Tammy said...

Thanks for that bit of info Jola. Very interesting to me for sure. It seems there are no absolutes when it comes to these folk. The Berbers are also considered "gypsies" by the middle eastern culture and are looked upon very much in the same light. It is a story which reaches back far back in history. Glad you shared that story Jola. I'm sure some of the stories I have heard from my dancing friends have been romanticized. The children of any poor culture suffer the worst don't they?

Peace to you Jola and thanks Ken for allowing us your sounding board for this subject!

Mark said...

Regular radio sucks. John Boy and Billy make me sick.

Since I responded to your Nascar piece are you my puppet master?

Very odd about you forgetting your son's birthday on Sunday. I forgot my Moms birthday on Friday after Thanksgiving. When I called her on Saturday I said "Hi, this is your idiot son who forgot your birthday". She laughed. I hope she was not upset.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you could ever be anybody's puppet.

Mom's are very forgiving; fortunately son's are too.

Blog Archive