Friday, December 04, 2009

Mortified




I just this morning learned that another family member died. She was in her 90's and suffered from Alzheimer's Disease, so it wasn't unexpected. In my youth, I sat at her dinner and supper table many, many times, being treated just like one of her own kids. She was born and reared in the hills of Johnson County and married my great-uncle. They lived in the same community as did I until the early 1960's when they moved to the edge of town to be nearer their grown children.
----
I'm just now figuring out what death is. It is not my own body taking its last breath or making one final heartbeat; it is the little pieces of me dying and falling by the wayside each time an old friend or family member or someone I knew "back when" passes. It is more painful when those beautiful people are younger than me because it makes me wonder "why" and being human and mortal, I often pause to wonder "when". I suppose losing loved ones does help us prepare for own eventual demise; having lost so many spread over the years has caused me to no longer fear death. When someone passes and I think I cannot feel any emptier, another dies and my "being" becomes less real but the sadness always deepens; somewhere there must be a place of balance or just maybe it is a point of no return.
----
Now that I have everyone's heart uplifted and filled with mirth ...
----
Well and anyway, I made it to another Friday and that means I get my weekly fix. I hope it is at least as painful as was the last one; now that, my friends, is reality! It reminds me that I am very much alive and intending to stay that way. I just cannot imagine the world continuing without me. Oh, Yeah!
----

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A poem "I am a tree" is beautiful. And your remarks about death somehow are beautiful too.

Yep! You are very much alive, Ken! And you must be still very much alive for many, many, many ... many years. ;-)

Sorry to hear that you have cold. Please take good care of yourself ... xo ...

Tammy said...

so all the amazing beings in our lives make up who we are or will be if we are smart enough to love that hard. There is truly a price to pay for showing all of your belly. Love hard, mourn hard.
I am glad you shared this with us, no matter how sad. It may help me to sift through my thoughts someday when most needed.

I still mourn my Gram from 3 years ago and she is the only person thus far I've had to lose. I fear I have many hard tears to fall. I wonder how you become strong enough to bear it.

peace on Friday. We are having WEATHER which is in the form of rain and miserable 50 degrees. I sit on my heating pad trying to pretend I like typing all day long for snarky doctors.

so sorry to hear your loss. Altzheimer's is a horrible thing and I wonder if the passing gave much needed rest from the demons.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

Oh, I plan to be around for a long time yet; I owe to much money to die. ;-)

Like most colds, it is more an inconvenience than anything. :-)

Anonymous said...

Mourning is a needed emotion; it keeps us from being too sad too long. It is a temporary anesthetic lasting just long enough for acceptance to begin tempering our grief and anger.

We are having a bit of WEATHER, too. I will swap you the snow we are supposed to have tomorrow for your balmy 50 degrees. :-)

Thanks and have a great weekend, Tammy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

????? did i miss something? has the sanctity been breached?

Mark said...

Sorry Ken. I have been thinking about death recently. My father lost his best friend in September and then a month later another close family friend passed away. I was wondering what it must feel like when you get to the age when you start to see friends pass away.

Has to be frightening in many ways when this begins to happen.

Tammy, it seems that Ken has been spammed on his blog. I did some loking around and and the Aimtrust webistes are register Anonymously. It is damm ponzi scheme. No balls if they post liie this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,

I get these on occasion, but I never use the links. They just keep clicking the "Next blog" link at the top of the page, drop a copied comment and move on. Other than making a blog private, or not accepting all comments, there is not much to be done about it.
I will try to delete that one so no one else will stumble across it and use the link.

Anonymous said...

The death thing hits hardest when your last parent passes; you know you are the "next" generation.

You are correct about being spammed, Mark. Always someone wanting to prey on the old folks; they search for keywords like aging and death, etc.
Thanks.

Blog Archive