Sunday, December 06, 2009

A Christmas Card



Here is something I found in some old papers that belonged to my maternal grandmother and later to my mom. I was doing genealogical research at the time and found this to be very interesting. The Christmas card is from my grandfather's first wife Talitha Cumi Denton and was sent to him from her about the year 1892. They had been married a few years at the time and had children. My grandfather was a bit of a nomad, moving from place to place in the area and even to other states once or twice. As best as I can figure from other documents and family memories, he had gone to West Virginia to work in the sawmills and coal mines, taking whatever job that was paying the best. Cumi was left in Tennessee with her family and "Pap" (my granddad) sent her money and she eventually moved herself and their children to W. Va. where he was working. One time they had a spat over something and Pap packed up a couple of his boys and moved back to Tennessee, apparently abandoning his wife and the remainder of the children. Eventually however, they reconciled and Pap took the boys back to Welsh, W. Va., to find out that Cumi had become pregnant while he was away and would soon deliver. Pap got mad and took back to Tenn., but soon he was back in Welsh and he raised the little Ida just as if she was his. Cumi died of typhoid fever in 1910, and Pap came back to Tenn. for good. By then, some of his kids were grown and elected to stay in W. Va. The Christmas card was sent to Pap. I do not have access to my genealogical program because it will not work on Win7 and I know the time line is off somewhat, but the card itself is the story. It was later found out that Ida's father was a traveling shoe salesman. Following is what Cumi said in the card as best as I can decipher it. "Joe" is my granddad; John, Jim, Tilda, and Lou were her brothers and sisters. Cumi was suffering from her first bout of typhoid fever at the time. It is a single page card with the writing on the back.
****
From Cumi If I die, I want you to all be good to Ida and see that she is took care of and not run over by nobody bad. I want you to keep her as long as you can. Joe, if you ever marry I want you to marry somebody that is nice and good to Ida, and if you marry somebody that is not good to her, I want you to give her to someone like John and Jim. You must see to Ida John if I am gone. You must not forget her. You must do all you can for her. Tilda I know that you and Lou will do for her. All of you must do the best you can for her. Joe I want you to try and raise her right and you be good to her.
****
Even with a transgression—which I would not consider terribly bad under the circumstances as I understand them,—Cumi must have been a loving mom. I would like to know the entire story of the marriage but have found little information. When Pap married my grandmother in 1916, he settled down and was a great husband, farmer, and merchant. All his kids from both wives became good adults.
----
Cumi is pronounced Coo-me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He shouldn't have left her alone. I can't condemn Cumi for that what she did. A child is a child. It's so nice name: Ida. It's mythical name. Yes, Cumi was v. loving mom. The words she wrote at the card are so simple and fervent.

Beautiful story, Ken. Thanks for it.

Tammy said...

It's just like a snippet of a well-written novel isn't it? but it is real life. How moving and interesting to have a small window into their lives. I love the name Talitha and Cumi. On her death bed, still holding true to the title "mother." Thanks so much for sharing that, much enjoyed on my dreary Monday.

Anonymous said...

You are correct Jola, but I do not know all the circumstances of the separation. I still get emotional when I read her words.
Thanks, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.
I knew all of her kids that were still alive when I was growing up, and they all loved her and their dad very much.

"Shitbucket" Mondays are made so the rest of the week will seem better. :-)

Blog Archive