Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A salute to Obama openness




Would conservative goddess G.W. Bush have done what President Obama did by saying that the intelligence agencies of this nation screwed up by allowing a suspected terrorist to board a plane with materials and intent to destroy the craft and kill the people aboard? Bush probably would have said the same thing, but you can bet your sweet bippy he would not have done so in public or for the public record. For a change, it is refreshing to have a bit of openness in our government. I salute you, Mr. Obama; in my eyes, this will define your presidency much more than the hamstrung healthcare reform you are pushing through the legislative branch. Now let us work together to get the problems fixed.
----
How far can the US go to screen boarding plane passengers in foreign countries? What do we do; set up mini-embassies with FAA checkpoints at loading gates in other nation's airports? Are we completely dependent on other governments to ensure the safety of passengers bound for American destinations?
----
Are the airlines taking on enough (if any) responsibility for safe delivery of passengers from terrorist attempts? Should they accept some of the responsibility for screening all people whom board their planes?
----
I have a plan which will work to ensure airline passenger safety. Everyone must be required to remove all their clothing before boarding a plane whether it be an international or domestic flight. This will exclude from flying those unfortunate people with special needs like medications, canes, crutches or anything other than their bare skin. Luggage can be handled separately by having a special once-a-day flight to carry only baggage. It can be flown by remote control like our military drones, or at worst with a minimal flight crew. Or maybe they can do like the WW2 gliders and the suitcases can tag along behind the passenger liner in a special plane designed for such. It can be towed along behind on a long cable, and arrive at the destination at the same time as the passengers. It should be fun.
----

10 comments:

Maggie said...

I really did laugh right out loud. Thanks for the smiles.

I have been admiring your butterfly collection recently. Nice work.

Hope you are keeping warm and smilin' too.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion it's not difficult to distinguish a passenger whose behavior is strange.

In Polish planes the atmosphere is so familiar each time, and while landing (when everything is OK) we applaud. We show this way that we appreciate skills of captain of flight. It' really nice moment.

The airlines are responsible for our safety, of course. O, I think we all accept checks.

The suitcases in a special plane? Well, a good idea .:-))

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Maggie.

They laughed at Tom Edison when he invented the step ladder, too. ;-)

If the new site ever has sub-communities, you should consider one for butterflies for the Garden.

I'm staying warm and forcing a smile. :-)

Anonymous said...

With the profiling going on in US, if a person's skin is not lily white, he is considered a suspect. Bad situation. :-(

I think the applause is a good idea and it used to be common in the US, I think.

Our airlines only take responsibility for the plane and crew.

Thanks, Jola. :-)

Maggie said...

I was thinking we have enough butterflies on the site already to merit their own community.

In our local paper, there is a guy who writes these very witty humorous articles. He suggested the same 'naked truth' solution to the regulations for passengers on the airlines. I wonder if the airlines would go out of business. I wonder if flying would become a whole new form of entertainment. The applause or boos would then commence with the boarding.

Anonymous said...

Yes, all these butterflies are beauiful. Ken, I think you used the tripod stand and self-timer. Am I right?
Anyway, they are perfect. :-)

Anonymous said...

You mean I have been Scooped! That plane situation is too ripe for punsters to not rip into it. Nudity may be enough to cause me to overcome my fear of flying just so I can see the sights.

Thanks, Maggie. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

These were all hand-held shots, Jola. They were made on sunny (but breezy) days. I normally only use a tripod at night. :-)

Tammy said...

Let us not forget the lowly caterpillar who does half the work for the butterfly and the pupa stage is quite lovely for the monarch as well. I have so many photos of those little buggers I don't know what to do with them. They are a easy target as they don't move as quickly as the butter-fliers!

Anonymous said...

Very true Tammy.

I've trouble sighting the critters when they are doing their thing. Maybe I am not observant enough. :-(

Thanks, my friend. :-)

Blog Archive