Thursday, December 10, 2009

Thursday's Child




The net is back on but we have no phone service: a very good situation, I think. Cell phones still work, though.
----
Yesterday's 90mph wind gusts knocked down many trees and some structures, leaving thousands of homes without electricity, phone, and cable tv service. Some are still without power as of noon today. Fortunately the temps were mild enough during the day so that workers could make a lot of repairs.
----
Yesterday was my youngest grandchild's 20th birthday and that makes me feel even more decrepit. My oldest child will be 45 in April; I think I am becoming nauseous. I wonder if I am the patriarch of the family? It is ok if I am, but no one had better call me that.
----
Goldman Sachs, one of the Wall Street firms we taxpayers handed $13 billion dollars to last year with no strings attached, is preparing to pay out $17 billion dollars in bonuses to executives and traders. There is still no oversight of Wall Street shenanigans by the executive branch of government, or by Congress. Fools we are!
----
Tiger is now 11 over par although he is hitting every hole.
----
I wonder how an accidental meeting between Bill and Hillary and Monica would go down? Say at a party or fundraiser, etc. How would America's top world diplomat react? Would Bill drop his pants? Would Monica drop to her knees? If Barack happened to be present, would he be impeached on suspicion of something? Would George W. Bush even have enough sense to know what was going on? Would Sarah wink? Would Bill try to lay Sarah? I love politics.
----
How could a healthcare "public option" be included in the bill when it never existed anywhere but in a few people's minds anyway? I hate politics.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually our age is not important. Our soul - a divine component of each of us - has no age. Besides, a word 'patriarch' sounds nicely.

A New Year 2010 will be good for us, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Patriarch seems so upper-class, or high falootin' as we hill people call it. :-)

I dunno; at times I think my soul is younger than me.

I'm already tired of the cold weather, any year that has a springtime is a good year, so I am looking forward to 2010.

Thanks, Jola.

Mark said...

Our souls are always younger than we are for most of our lives for the most part.

The whole bank and insurance issue is class warfare waged on the American public by corporate America. They do not care about us at all. This week I watched two documentaries about Katrina. One called "Trouble the Water" and Spike Lee's "When the Levees Broke" and then last night I watched Bill Moyers show and these are classic examples of what is wrong with the U.S. and how powerless people can be.
They are also classic examples of what should be the publics "call to action".

Anonymous said...

The hell of it is, the only time the people are heard is at election time; most Americans are satisfied to gripe and grumble until it is time once more to do politics. We have allowed money to drive the system, and it isn't an easy mountain to fall off of.

Blog Archive