Monday, December 07, 2009

Riding the Storm Out










I drove Carolyn to Elizabethton Saturday so she could clean the building on 19-E. The job isn't too far from Hampton and Hampton rests at the base of the mountains and is very near Watauga Lake. We were having weather. I drove to Rat Branch but the view of the dam was obscured by a heavy snow squall so we went on up to Watauga Point where I made a couple of shots. We the proceeded up the hills to the overlook near where old Fish Sprigs community was located before being flooded and covered by the lake. There were several cars there and people were making photos. I got out of the Escape and made a few shots across the lake during a squall; one of them I like pretty well even though the landscape is mostly obscured by falling snow. We left there and headed back down the mountain and Carolyn decided it was time to pee; she is taking fluid pills and when she has to go, she HAS to GO. I turned up the old, one-lane road that goes across to Elk Park, North Carolina, and went up for a mile or so looking for a suitable bush for her to hide behind to do her thing. We went around a curve in the road and there was a car parked at a small pull-off place where two men were standing around and another was squatted on his haunces taking a crap, his ass whiter than the fresh snow. He jumped up real quick-like and I waved as we went by and the men were laughing and so was I. I said to Carolyn that it must be the local bathroom and did she want to get out and squat by the man while they did their duty; they could even hold hands. As badly as she needed to go, for some reason she refused my offer and I drove on, finally finding a little side lane, but she would not "go" there either. Someone had pitched a tent along the creek-side, but there were no signs of it being occupied or of anyone being around or walking in the new snow. Anyway, I had to drive a bit farther to find suitable "facilities" for her and by that time, I also had the urge so she peed behind a bush and I peed on the wheel of the Escape. For some reason, there was less snow on the mountain than in the valley. As we got to Rat Branch again, the snow squall had mostly cleared and the fishermen were coming in with their boats; lots of boats. There also a game warden there checking for whatever it is they look for, so I got out, made a few shots of the dam, and left for home.
----
The Smoking Gun's Mug Shots of the Week!

10 comments:

Tammy said...

The photos are so lovely. everything looks tranquil with a bit of cold nestled around it.

for almost 16 years I had to travel a 3 hours journey to drop the kids off at their dad's place on an every-other-weekend basis. So many of my Friday evenings and Sunday evenings were spent in the car and fortunately I most of it was through the Ocala National Forest. We had several great "pee" spots and on occasion would be fortunate enough to see black bear, Florida cougars, and bobcats. Always saw the lovely sandhill cranes in the marshes and assorted other critters. It made my drive so worth it. As the years wore on, I didn't see so many critters which made me so sad. Sometimes in the "twilight hours" I'd take my top off and daringly drive topless with the radio blasting through the forest enjoying my sense of complete abandon (don't tell Mike, he will kill me). Once time a biker pulled up beside me and tried to get me to pull off the road to "meet" him which ended my topless driving! Nudity in the woods isn't so bad...

stay warm.

Anonymous said...

The weekend trips must have become so routine they became boring at times, even through lovely forest. You are braver than I; men don't usually get by with such ... and they probably shouldn't. I go to the creek a few times each year and wander around a bit sans clothes, but is is always well past dark and I don't get far from my clothes. Yes, there is a sense of freedom and daring involved, and it can be quite a rush. If I were to be caught like that, I'm afraid it would be a Deliverance-like experience. :-(

Mark said...

Guess I should not feel bad when I pee off the back porch. Don't think I'll be ridin' nekkid anytime soon. Although it does sound quite nice.

The first two pictures are great.
What is band on the far side of the lake? Is that a rock ledge?

Anonymous said...

Peeing off the porch is a man'[s right!

The band in center is the dam, with a distant Holston Mt. above it. The Appalachian Trail crosses the top of the dam.

Thanks, Mark

Mark said...

Sorry I meant the band on the hill on the left side of the picture.

Anonymous said...

Tree line; I thought maybe that was what you were referring to. Is the pic too dark to see the trees; I can see individual trees on my monitor.

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

It seems odd there is not any snow covering on there.

Hell it may make a difference if I put my reading glasses on. I should just leave a pair sitting at the computer.

The comments deleted were mine. Needed to fix some typing errors.

Anonymous said...

There was only a tiny amount of snow--maybe an inch--and it didn't cling to the deciduous trees like it did the evergreens. I am permanently four-eyed and glassified.

Mark said...

Reading glasses are a must for me. I guess regular glasses may be in order soon.

Blog Archive