Sunday, December 27, 2009

Personal gripes


Buckeye

I think I may pull through; I had the worst non-alcohol induced Christmas hangover ever. I don't think I could have shown interest if the universe had collapsed yesterday. I was able to scratch out a little blog and look at some photos on Flickr and the new site, but other than that it was a bummer. All three of my kids were here at the same time on Christmas day, but no fights broke out even though two of them are not speaking to each other. I've never seen so much sibling jealousy when none of them really have reason to be jealous. I really do not like Christmas in the traditional sense. Since most of my close family and friends have passed and two of my children have grown into selfish nincompoops, this virtual world has become the place I live and you have become my friends and family. Hold me.
----
Carolyn is off to Elizabethton to clean the building; I am staying home. She hasn't had monetary increases from most of her accounts since the economy began souring four years ago, and they have all told her not to try to raise them if she wants to keep them. She has begun to cut-back on what she does in the buildings, and is now beginning to receive complaints. Her after-tax income is down more than 50 percent since 2005, and all her insurance rates will increase at a record of about 30 percent each in 2010. She is required to carry liability insurance, commercial automobile insurance, and workman's compensation insurance, plus bonds for herself and employees. Her employees have had only two small raises during the period. Unemployment taxes increased from one percent to five percent in 2009, and will probably go higher next year. Getting her to retire is out of the question because she has to support another family member whom is able but unwilling to support himself.
----
I wonder what kind of knee jerk reactions our protective government will have over the latest terrorist attempt? Whatever it is, it will be designed to protect their jobs first and our lives second. The Reagan/Bush legacy will live until we decide to kill it.
----
I'll try to do a better blog tomorrow.
----

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, my dear, it was simply such bad day. The misunderstandings are in each family, please, try to be more optimistic.
My Christmas Holiday was good. It was a free time for me. I read my favorite newspapers, really different texts, e. g. an interview with Michael Schudrich. He is Chief Rabbi of Jews who live in Warsaw. When he was asked for the Holocaust, he answered (I translated it for you): "You, Poles, had a difficult role of witnesses. Most of you were looking at the Holocaust of Jews and you were helpless. You felt sorry for them, and you even felt somehow guilty, I think. In my opinion it was terrible experience: such observing killing Jews by Nazis. They were your neighbors, you didn't like some of them, sometimes you quarreled with them, but it's quite different situation if you had to look that Nazis were murdering them".

Ken, actually we tried to save some Jewish children; nevertheless Schudrich is right, we were witnesses of this tragedy and there is still a sorrow in our hearts.

Schudrich is really reasonable person. I appreciate his honest words. Once I should visit Warsaw synagogue; I haven't been there yet.

Have a good new week, my friend. And please give Carolyn my regards. She is so brave woman.:-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
Things are never as bad as I tend to make them sound ... most of the time.

When a nation is suddenly occupied by such overwhelming evil, it is difficult to imagine the population being able to organize any kind of assistance, but I know the Poles and other countries did as much as they could for the Jews, Gypsies, and other "undesirables". Being caught helping them could and did lead to mass executions. Many Poles whom were unable to help still suffered as slaves to the Nazi war machine, and many died while fighting for a cause they hated or from deplorable conditions in factories and mines. Their children died of hunger and abuse from SS soldiers. I am not taking away from the suffering of the Jews and others, but the entire human race must forever bear the scars of Hitler. He had already declared Germans as a superior race, and if he had won the war, all of Europe's people and maybe the world would have been turned into slaves of the Reich. We must not forget.

Have a wonderful week, Jola. :-)

Mark said...

For the most part I enjoy Christmas. The biggest issue i have with it is that it is too short. For the most part it seems like a day off, nothing else.

If we were able to slow down for a couple days before and after Christmas it would be much better.

Heck I noticed that Albertsons and Winn-Dixie were open on Christmas Day. That really pisses me off. How utterly fucking shameful are the people who those decisions? No matter if one is religious or not the decision to be open on Christmas day show an utter lack of respect for the majority of Americans who celebrate the most important religious day of their year. It also shows no respect for the employees and it show total respect for corporate greed. They will claim it is customer service and not corporate greed. Are we really that fucking stupid? And what of the people that need to rush to the store because they forgot thier butter or some other stupid thing. Learn to do without.
It really is not that hard, fools.

I really would like too punch those fuckers right in the mouth. They are the kind of people who will be ruining of America.

We are going the way off Rome.

Tammy said...

Self-employment is a tough row to hoe. The taxes alone kill us. We do get to "make our own rules"; however, the government holds the rule book. I've been self-employed for 11 years now and each year I am surprised and horrified how much of my income goes to taxes. I do get to sit in my own home day after day and that I am happy for. I guess I can trade typing in my P.J.'s for part of my soul to Uncle Sam. Sorry to hear of Carolyn's frustrations, I can sympathize.

It is sickening that we can't afford to shut down the country for just 1 day. Even if you don't celebrate XMAS, how nice to have a day off? Just 1 simple day of peace, quiet, and a chance to recharge your batteries.

I like the photos of moths and butterflies. I had 2 Monarchs hatch christmas day but not many flowers left.

Onward to the New Year hey?

Anonymous said...

I think the solstice/religious/year-end holidays should be done like the ancients did: two or more weeks of celebration. I believe the economy and everything else would benefit. Of course Republicans and capitalists would squeal without thinking it through.
Yep; we've gotten too big for our britches and failure as a nation is imminent.
Thanks, Mark.

Anonymous said...

Yes, taxes and regulations are overpowering small business; we can't afford law firms to find loop holes. Be thankful you do not have employees.
Whatever happened to going to a neighbor's house to borrow a stick of butter or cup of flour to finish holiday preps? Seems like we have isolated ourselves to the point we can only exist on those days when we are among close friends, relatives, and convenience stores.
Our Monarchs are long gone, but like the robins, they will be back.
Thanks, Tammy.
BTW, have You read Silent Spring?

Tammy said...

nope but I'll be sure to have Tia check it out for me from the book store. She works at Books A Million and we have the sneaky pleasure of being able to check books out on their dime... hee hee

Anonymous said...

Mark is right; shops should be closed on Christmas Day. In this case we all need so severe rules as Jews have on the Sabbath. During such important religious holiday we should focused on our spiritual issues.

Anonymous said...

Working in a bookstore or library would be a piece of paradise for me. Hope you like Ms. Carson's book.

Thanks, Tammy.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think closing the shops should be legislated in any way because that puts government and religion in bed together which is unconstitutional in the US, but I think it is a moral obligation for shops to give employees the day off from work.

Thanks, Jola.

Blog Archive