Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Spaced

It is sort of sad to see the era of the Space Shuttle coming to an end.  As I think back, I know the loss of astronaut lives was a high price, but the knowledge gained over the past 30 years has been priceless. Any one deep space photo from the Hubble telescope has made my tax dollars invested well worth the sacrifices. I hope when the last shuttle ends its final flight that it is not the beginning of the end of a broad American space effort. If not for the US space program, I would probably be sitting somewhere typing this newsletter on a manual typewriter and sending it out by postal service.
----
President Obama. His reign as Supreme Leader becomes more of a bad joke on a daily basis. His big promises that got him elected have been nothing but political sellouts. He raised minimum wages but few--other than illegals and teens--have benefited from it; no one else has a job. His medical overhaul ended being mostly of benefit to providers and a burden to taxpayers; few will enjoy "universal healthcare". The finance reform thing he is now pushing does nothing to bring the Five Big Banks under control; it is semi-regulatory at best and does not allow for the breakup of the big banks when they get out of line. Look what the breakup of AT&T did in the eighties; it allowed competition to to control the communications marketplace and it worked fine. This same threat has to be put in place or the big banks are going to completely take over American finances. The hell of it is there is no one with the balls to go against big business anymore. We need some Teddy Roosevelts and fewer Teddy Bears in our government.
----
Not much going on at the home front; Carolyn is at hairdresser and I am bored out my ass. My neck is better than yesterday, but has a long way to go. Carolyn has a new hairdresser; the man she has used for several years has throat cancer and is in a nursing home. I'm spending less porch time this year than in the past; freaking allergies are forcing me inside after only a few minutes of quality time. No pic today unless one falls in my lap.
----
Have a great day!
----

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pity that you can’t spend too much time on the porch. My sun allergy is v. strong this year too. :-(
Have a nice evening, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola,

It is a shame we both have to hide from nature during the prettiest days of the year. :-(

You have a goodnight, my friend. :-)

Mark said...

The shuttle was/is cool. I saw it go off once from Cocoa Beach and many times from across the the state. You could easliy see it from Tampa when the weather was right.

Teddy would be good for us right now. I would be amazed if anyone in the government stepped forward and actually did anything or even proposed anything like he did.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to see a launch,

I doubt that Teddy would have much of a chance with today's business climate, but he would at least try.

Blog Archive