Monday, May 03, 2010

Heavy weight


 Best when eaten with a bit of salt

The top-most photo that I posted here yesterday and on Megashot made one of my friends "angry". Here is a quote concerning the dark garage: " ... it is a very heavy weight that throws off the composition in terms of weighted objects." Even though I titled the shot "Neat lawn" because of the irony the photo presents of a run down farm yet the lawn has been freshly mowed, he found exception enough to insinuate and say it is a poor photo. As you can read from his quote, he is a stickler for "by the book" shooting and he shoots his photos in such a manner. I've passed this old place many, many times since it was abandoned and I never stopped to shoot the house or anything around it. It is an interesting place, and as I stated yesterday, it has some personal memories for me. Maybe those thoughts of olden days is what kept me from shooting it. Anyway, I could not by-pass the irony of this scene. As for the technical aspects of photography, I have very little use for them in my shooting; others may do as they wish but they sure as hell better not call themselves artists because they have become wed to a concept and cannot see. Artists break rules; artists make rules. However, he is correct in the one assertion about the garage stealing focus from the house, but it is not as terrible as he carries on about. The fact remains that I do not walk around very well—particularly on uneven ground—so I was limited as to how and from where I made the photos. Another thing, on the front of the "heavy weight" hangs a sign even heavier in meaning for my part of the world. Even though it is loosely dangling upside-down, it still says "No Trespassing" and I'm sure the person who placed it meant for it to be heeded. I was in the driveway, but stayed on county right-of-way as much as possible. Actually, the garage is dead nuts, downtown, and whoa nelly on a "rule of thirds" intersection. Smack dab is what I'm talking about. The house happens to be at another intersecting "rule of thirds" point. My friend's trained technical eye led him to look for the "correct" aspects instead of taking time to read the title of the photo and to see what I was trying to represent. Also, he did not take time to see just how well framed the house is. He did not see the dark garage and old apple tree as a frame for the house. Ditto with the dark grass below the house and the tree behind it. He did not see the the blooms on the bush complimenting the white areas on the house. He did not see the leading line from the roof of the shed on the left going across the garage roof and pointing directly to the house. All this sets the house apart from the remaining elements, and on top of that, it is the largest object pictured. How anyone sees the overall photo is of little concern; I did it the best I could with what I had to do with; my butt leaning against a Ford Escape, my allergy-ridden eyes, and a Pentax camera. I used my limited knowledge and experience to make the best photo possible and I am more than pleased with the result. Screw the rules.
----
Have a wonderful worsh day!
----
 "... it is a very heavy weight that throws off the composition in terms of weighted objects." May aching ass!

10 comments:

Tammy said...

interesting. I like the photos. fortunately for me I can just enjoy without having any knowledge of the rules! Being a simpleton saves me any bother of judgement.
I especially loved the buttercups and horses. We don't have buttercups in Florida, only fire ants in the sand. The moonlight photo of the house is great as well, one of my favorites.
carry on my rebel friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, friend Tammy;

You see photos as they are made to be seen; you like or dislike on the basis of what you see; not what you think you ought to see.

I've had the moonlight filter for months and am just now trying it; I like it too.

Fire ants. Reminds me of a Travis McGee mystery novel; maybe it was "The Dreadful Lemon Sky". We don't have fire ants here ... yet.

Anonymous said...

This is well made photo, Ken. There is clear division: foreground and background (in Polish 2 plany: bliższy i dalszy). They are nicely balanced.
You are very good photographer. Pentax is very good camera (there are 3 really good brands in my part of world: Canon, Nikon, Pentax).
Your megashot friend is a bit conceited. Of course, it's worth knowing the rules. You know the rules and you didn't break them.
Btw: Now I'm reading a book "Composition" by Blue Fier. Wonderful book! Blue Fier is American. I'm reading the Polish translation.

Happy new week to ALL of you. xox

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jola.

He is one of those amazing people who go to school for a few months and are able to learn all there is to know. Me, I'm still learning. He is also on Flickr; I brought him over to Megashot. I've learned from him, but then, I learn from everyone.

Have a wonderful week, my friend. :-)

Mark said...

Well the picture is fine. It is always what the photorapher wants it to be, nothing more, nothing less. IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark.
You HO always counts with me. :-)

Maggie said...

LOL
Excuse me for enjoying the disparate views about the rules. If I had had yet another medicating Scotch, I might say... who the F cares about some made up rules? To base your perception of art on rules is less than ruely. (recently learned that new word on Megashot)
But truly, the man of few words, is right. Quote: Well the picture is fine. It is always what the photorapher wants it to be, nothing more, nothing less. IMHO. Unquote
yea bro

Tammy said...

Do wrens cry tears? Do they have emotions? Last night Ken some vile creature of the dark took my babies from the nest. I can only hope they didn't suffer too badly. They were getting ready to creep out of the nest with their little wobbly bodies. My heart is broken. The mother and father wren are frantic about the nest this morning back and forth chirping for their heart's worth. I can't soothe them. nature is harsh.

Anonymous said...

Ruley? Great word!
The reason I wrote the blog is the guy has been doing this to me since I first met him on Flickr 3 yrs. back. I keep explaining I don't care and he keeps trying to save my photographic soul. He reads the blog on occasion.

Mark knows his stuff and he knows people.

Thanks, Maggie. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh god Tammy; I am very and truly sorry. We few on this blog were so happy about the babies and your being their step-mom and godmother. I think we all will miss them, and we know you are heart broken. Mom and dad will soon begin anew at another place, but in Nature, there are no guarantees. I hope it was a wild critter making a living and not a domestic pet that took them. You did the best a mom could do and you will always have the beautiful blessing of caring for the little family in your memories.

Peace be with you, my friend ...

Blog Archive