Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Domestic doings



My neck is much improved and I feel almost human even though I still look like a hillbilly. It took a week of my pleading, but Carolyn finally hauled her potted vegetable plants to the porch where they can get sunlight most of the day. She was going to try to raise them in a mostly shaded area. All she has is a few cucumbers, tomato plants, and banana peppers. She has three varieties of tomatoes this year, including big boy, some kind of yellow, and something she called a black tomato. Interesting. I don't much care as long as I get some fried green 'maters.
----
'Maters. I generally write tomato and potato, but I talk mater and tater. A cantaloupe is a mush-melon. Okra is okry. Corn on the cob is roast-nears (roasting ears). Peonies are pineys. Cranberry beans are Octobers. Peanuts are not goobers; at least in the hills they ain't.
----
I am again trying to get caught up on my Flickr comments; I've missed a bunch of wonderful photos while I was sick. I don't have a lot of contacts on Megashot, and many of the ones I do have don't post regularly, so it is pretty easy to keep up there. Megashot becomes more awesome, and they had a bunch of new members come in over the past day.
----
Yesterday's elections went as expected; the crooks won. Americans better be taking Palin's Ignorant Party more seriously.
----
Twitter is offline again; happens about everyday at least once. My grandson and I swap witty quotes.
----
Speaking of witty quotes: Have a wonderful Wednesday!
----

4 comments:

Tammy said...

glad you are feeling better. Hope Carolyn's plants don't get attacked by bugs. My mom had a nest of wrens in her garden shed that I got to peek at. There were 3 of them (just like my nest). She got to see the entire experience including them flying off w/ mamma and pappa bird. It made me feel better. Can't stop mating birds I guess and for that I will seek solace.

Keep us posted on that black mater', that sounds interesting to me. I just have plum tomatos and cherry tomatos planted. The big bushes take up too much room. I also love love love fried green tomatos with a cold beer and some good music. not much is better on a summer evening.
continue to feel better please... happy Wed to you also. Mark can get along with just about everybody except for racists and ignorants and I think he will do just fine in the hills up there. I hope you get to meet him in person, he is charming, smart, and entertaining. dance night, mike eats tuna noodle casserole again.

Anonymous said...

Glad your mom got the opportunity with the wrens; you will have more boarders in your garden. Robins nest twice each year this far north, so your birds should be baby factories.

The black mater is intriguing. You really do sound like a country girl in the city.

Mark will be fine in the hills; I don't know where his life's road will carry him, but I think he will always feel at home in mountains.

Dance hard!

Thanks, Tammy.

Mark said...

I am getting hungry reading about the veggies. Black maters seem intersting. I'll look for them at the market.

Want to bet Rand Paul runs for President.

I am on the computer so much at work that being on at night gets a bit old. It would be much better if you could have a split screen on tv between a tv show and the web.

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling for fresh veggies.

As of now, I can't see Paul winning but he will either fracture the Republicans into two parties, or unite them. No bet!

You can have it both ways with some of the new web-ready tv's. Google is getting involved in development, so I would wait awhile before I invested in one.

Blog Archive