Friday, May 28, 2010

Happy Memorial Weekend!


We had some dandy thunderstorms in the area last evening although we just caught the edge of them at my house. Looks to be the same for the next few days, so I am still planning nothing for the weekend. I probably won't return to the mountains for the views until October when the cooler temps will clear the air; it is difficult to see any kind of detail even a few hundred meters away. I am thinking of taking the 30 minute drive to Bristol tomorrow if the weather is ok; I've done very little shooting there. I've always wanted to stand on the Tennessee side of State Street and pee onto the Virginia side. I'm not normal. I also live within a 30 minute drive to one of the country's greatest concentrated fossil finds and museum at Gray, Tennessee, and I have yet to visit although I've driven past it many times.
----
Downtown Johnson City is having its ludicrous Blue Plum Festival next weekend; it is a minor event in a minor town with minor things to do and will have a minor effect on or for the city as a whole. It is another stupd brainchild of the Johnson City Development Authority (JCDA). I hope out of towners who attend see the sandbags in front of the doors to several of the businesses, but I suppose the bags will be removed for the occasion. JCDA is still studying the situation and it seems all they want to do is remove affected buildings instead of addressing the flooding problem that an average summer thunderstorm brings. It would seem that 30 years of studying should be sufficient.
----
I did not get my shot yesterday; I figured it best if I didn't try to drive.
----
May your famulus be particularly keen of this last Friday of May.
----

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken
My grandson Nic gradates tonight from University High School.
Hopefully the storm will quit before graduation at 8 a the Culp Center.
It is hard to believe his old enough to be finishing High School.
Have a great weekend.
Alice

Anonymous said...

Wow!
Time surely does fly, Alice. What are Nic's plans? I'm sure he will continue his education. One thing for sure, you and Vanessa have done right by the kids, and they will be the kind of people this country needs ... if we leave them a country, that is.
You are blessed.
Ken

Mark said...

Lots of rain here late last night. Todat looks like it may be decent.

Maybe I'll be heading out today for places unkown.

Anonymous said...

Good luck ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken
Nic is planning on going to Northeast State and majoring in Computer graphic design.
Yes, I am blessed. He is a very good teenager.
Alice

Anonymous said...

By gum, I bet you will be getting a high-speed internet connection now! :-)

Is Nic going to summer school or waiting for fall term? Graphic design is a good field.

Anonymous said...

Ken
He is waiting to start this fall.
Alice

Anonymous said...

He will do good ... if he doesn't fall in love ... :-)

Blog Archive