Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3

Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 -- This is my third or fourth report on this Corel product. The original complaints I had about the product frequently freezing and crashing are still unaddressed by Corel. I have the latest (and only) maintenance update installed. I had both Version X2 and X3 loaded on the pc, but on separate Windows XP partitions. I became so fed up with trying to convince X3 to cooperate that I went back to X2 but lo and behold, it is now doing the same little dance that X3 does by suddenly placing the Pan Tool on the the photo I am working on and I cannot not get it to go away. This tells me there must be a common file(s) that Corel uses for both versions of the program and that X3 has somehow hijacked the file. Like a good boy, I uninstalled X2 and hoped that would cure the problem. No dice. I would not complain if it was a sometimes problem, but it happens several times everyday. At times, closing the program and restarting it will make the hand of evil disappear. Other times, a reboot is all that will temporarily fix it, and at other times, just leaving it alone for a time will temporarily get it going again. I've not been to the Corel user forums because I don't have the time or inclination to chase bugs for a large corporation like Corel. Now I am going to be forced to remove X3 and reinstall X2 again; it worked fine until X3 came aboard. The odds of it working fine again are not too good, because most software does not completely uninstall itself even if it says it has done so. It will sometimes leave stray files in the Windows System folder and it will sometimes leave them in the Common Files folder. They nearly always leave crap in the all important Windows Registry and fooling around in the registry for any reason can cause problems up to and including mandatory re-installation of the Windows OS. If I cannot get X2 to work, I will be going to the Gimp as my photo editor. One thing for sure, Windows XP has been around long enough that coders should be able to create stable products for it, yet I don't see Corel even acknowledging there is a problem. Corel is a Canadian company, but they are acting like an American outfit that doesn't care for anything but the bottom line.
----

No comments:

Blog Archive