Monday, May 24, 2010

Crooked roads


The past two weekends have been a total bust photo-wise. Hundreds of crooked miles driven and my best shot was a distant crow walking a sidewalk. Just part of the game of not constantly shooting flowers; not to say flower shots are particularly easy, but blooms are everywhere and rusty Coke signs are rare.
----
Speaking of flowers, the Megashot flower contest begins one week from tomorrow and I am holding back my killer, sure to win rose shot. It is so good I may just sweep all prize categories with just one photo. If you haven't joined up and posted a flower photo, now is the time to do so. There is a scant possibility I won't win it all, so you may have an opportunity to secure a nice prize. Even if you cannot come up to my level of stunning photography, I think you will have a lot of fun entering the contest and being a participating judge. Humility comes hard for me.
----
My neck still isn't much better and it is cramping my style; can't turn my head to the left. Cripes, that may mean I am becoming a Republican! Well, I could use some of the money all Republicans seem to have. Tea anyone?
----
There are four markets on Highway 107 we frequent; well there were four until yesterday. We were about to stop at the first one when I saw the proud display of loser flags pictured above. I knew the proprietor was a redneck, but it would seem he is thumbing his nose at most of the world by displaying and selling these symbols of ongoing hatred and bigotry. It is a free country and he is free to sell what he wants, but he should remember a big portion of his business comes from city folk who don't care for this type of tomfoolery. I shot the photo through the car window as we passed through his parking lot. He may end up selling his produce to his good-old-boy neighbors, but I say good luck with that; most of them have their own vegetable gardens. The grinning face on the flag is a likeness of one of country music's best known rednecks, Hank Williams Junior, aka Bocephus.
----
Have a peaceful Monday!
----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your last photos, Ken. Good documentary job.
... 'redneck' - it's really interesting word, earlier rather unknown for me. I'm reading your remarks, my friend, I'm reading different analyses in Polish press, and I think that American society is fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
I hadn't thought much about the word "fascinating" as being a description for US society. It has become so fragmented and polarized that is is hard to decipher. I suppose it is a pretty good word of description. :-)

Mark said...

Rednecks, the wrong kind, are still alive and well. Gotta wonder where it all is going.

Anonymous said...

I see internal armed conflict for our country. On what scale it will evolve, I have no idea. Either reason or irrational fear will prevail; we can't have both on such a large scale. One or the other must play no more than a minor role for there to be balance; if not, we will be torn apart.

Mark said...

A race war or rich vs. poor. One or the other.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there will be anything left?

Blog Archive