Monday, March 01, 2010

It is Monday ... so what?


Along the Watauga River

I'm getting lazier; two hours a day is way too much time to spend in front of a tv screen, especially when it isn't turned on and I am snoozing. However, I did watch the Lady Vols beat Ol' Miss last evening to win the regular season conference title. Tournament time is this weekend coming. The women finished the regular season with 27 wins and two loses.
----
Congratulations to Canada on winning the Olympic gold medal for ice hockey in overtime against the US team. I don't know very much about the game, but I understand it was well played by both teams; it is always good to beat a team when they are playing at their best.
----
I can see where games played on ice would be popular up north in colder climes, but the most ice we southerners ever see is in our mint juleps. As long as I have lived in the south, I have yet to drink a mint julep. The concoction has become a stereotype of the old south along with huge columned mansions, trees with Spanish moss hanging to the ground, and a concrete livery boy with a black face at the entrance to every driveway. I've never traveled farther south than Atlanta, Georgia, and I have never seen Spanish moss or one of the portico-ed mansions, but sadly, the horrible statues of black-faced livery boys are in my area serving as a proud reminder that we Americans not so long ago owned other human beings and treated them miserably.
----
May your wash day be filled with sunshine so that wet clothing may dry on the line outside.
----


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atlanta is so dear city for my heart. D. took here so many beautiful photos. In 1992 it was so unknown world for me, and so wonderful, and so modern.

Ken... as you know, I'm sick, and only photos (also this one posted above) are able to make me a bit happier.

Have a great Worsh Day, my friend!

Anonymous said...

D has been to Atlanta since I was last there in 1973. I remember D's photos, and I did not recognize much of the city; it has changed a lot.

Hope how soon you are well, my friend. I do not have many pics you haven't already seen, but I will try to post what i have. :-)

Thanks, Jola.

Mark said...

Well it was a great hockey game and the U.S. should be very happy with the silver medal. Hockey is a great game it is too bad more people do not like or understand the game.

Spanish moss is very cool.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine any US team being happy with second best.

Yeah, I'd like to see Spanish moss hanging from trees, and I'd like to visit a real swamp like Okefenokee. There is much of the south I'd like to see.

Mark said...

Well being second may not be what they wanted but there is nothing wrong with second.

Anonymous said...

For some reason, it is not in the American psyche to be anything but first; we are arrogant. :-)

Blog Archive