Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday reflections




Both UT basketball teams were eliminated from the NCAA tournament over the weekend. The men at least made a decent showing, but the women seemed to take it for granted that they would win. Tradition doesn't count on the scoreboard.
----
I suppose my friend Alice was a bit disappointed. She hails from Kentucky but has close family in West Virginia. The WV Mountaineers beat favored Kentucky, so now her WV kin has bragging rights for a full year. There is a history of all kinds of rivalries between the two states, and several times bullets have whizzed back and forth across the Ohio River as each side attempts to make a point.
----
Beginning Wednesday, the weather is supposed to take a turn for the good just in time for April Fool's day on Thursday. I have placed my order for a nice weekend so we can do some serious picnicking. I hope Watauga Lake is at full pool and that there are plenty of sailboats on the water.
----
I have an appointment with the heart surgeon on Wednesday and I dread to hear what he will have to say; being ill is such an inconvenience.
----
The above photo has been rendered as an oil painting using Corel Photo Painter. I then loaded it into Paintshop Pro, created a new raster layer on top of it, copied the original photo into the layer at 70 percent opacity and merged them. I like the result.
----
The weather today is not looking good for hanging the worshin' on the line to dry. Have a good wash day, anyway!
----


6 comments:

Tammy said...

I wasn't able to view today's photo, not sure why. Hope the doc appointment goes well and the warm weather on its way does your bones some good.

The WWII plane exhibit was nice. I get a kick out of watching the vets approaching those old planes. Many of them are using ambulatory assistance and don't quite get around so well but they approach those planes with a reverence you can just feel. It humbles me to watch it and I wonder what they think as they stare up at those old birds.

My little wrens are finished building their nest. It is just cute as possible. Now onward to egg laying.
The priest/boy scandal is so disturbing to me. I agree with your thoughts Ken but can appreciate Jola's heartfelt respect that she has for her faith. It is so unfortunate that the flock is brainwashed enough to allow this to occur and to continue.

Anonymous said...

I do not know well this American case (priests, little boys), but I would like to underline that there is no tolerance for the pedophiles in my country.

Yes, Catholicism seems to be a bit outdated church. Some of our European friends even claim that that we are not enough modern; e.g. Dutchmen. Well, we do not understand why they haven't enough respect for old people and why they claim that the best solution for them is an euthanasia. If they define (describe) modernity in such way, we do not like their "modernity" and we prefer to be "anachronistic".

Anyway, we are all in one Europe, and we are the family of European nations; and we love that each of us (each country) is different and each of us has own unique heritage.

This photo, Ken.... pink trees. It's lovely work.

Holy Week. Peace with you, my friends.

Mark said...

I am going to make a run up to Bluefield Saturday. I plan to leave early so I can be therre early and mess around a bit. Then I can take the long way home and get some photos in the countryside.

West Virginia or Butler for me.

Anonymous said...

Blogger has been on the fritz.

I like to watch The Military Channel on tv; it has some good stuff Mike would probably like.

Our male wrens build several nests and displays for the female in front of each until she finds one she likes. She destroys the the unsuitable ones. Keeps him from becoming polygamous. Fascinating.

The church should do much more to protect the kids, but civil laws also need to be changed.

Thanks, Tammy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

There is little tolerance for it in this country, but when it is hidden from the public, little can be done. That is why I say it must be stopped at the source. We in the US need to change our laws, specifically on how information is retrieved from churches, etc. Also our statute of limitation laws need to be changed. For one priest to abuse more than 200 deaf boys over a period of 25 years and then be allowed to go free because the law says he cannot be prosecuted after a certain length of time is inexcusable. The church knew about it and should have reacted accordingly.

Anonymous said...

If you can get back in the sticks to some of the old coal mine towns and camps, you will probably have some good pickings for photos in SW VA.

At least the Duke women got beat!

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive