Friday, March 12, 2010

The lion of spring was once a kitten




One of the most satisfying pieces of spring's puzzle is the way it eases into existence. Thursday of last week was like so much of the winter had been; cloudy and cold. Friday we awoke to sunny skies but the air was still chilly. Over the past weekend, the temperature moderated and on Monday and Tuesday, we were at shirtsleeve comfort for parts of the days. This morning the sky is clear and the air is still bearably mild, but rain and cooler temps are in store for the weekend with typical season changing winds due this evening. Soon, forsythia, azaleas, and tulips will blossom, quietly followed by iris (my favorite flower), red bud, dogwood, and pussy willow. The two latter shrubs are closely tied to springtime religious traditions with the dogwood signifying the cross of Jesus and the pussy willow branches being carried in place of of palm fronds on Palm Sunday in cool regions. See, I do know a little bit about religious history. Some of the older folk in these hills still boil red bud flowers, bark, and leaves for a tea or tonic and has been found to be high in antioxidants. A seasoning for opossum meat can be made from red bud bark. Yummy!
----
I've taken time off from taxes to do photo editing on some flower shots I made near Easter last year. Most of them have been on Flickr and on this blog, but I have modified them a bit and am posting a few on Mega Shot. Some of them will be re-posted on Loose Laces.
----
One of my photography philosophies: When you make a photo from what you see with your eyes, you have created a scene; when you make a photo from what you see with your heart, you have created a memory; when you make a photo using your eyes and heart, you have created art.
----
It was on the second Friday in March two years ago when my heart problem finally put me out of circulation for awhile. I still count all of you and your caring as blessings ... thanks, y'all.
----
Have a friendly Friday!
----

8 comments:

Tammy said...

I can't wait for more flower/bird photos. they are my favorites. The one closest to my heart is the photo of the dove w/ 1 foot up. She reminds me of my little red boy who has dove-like qualities, sweet and timid. I agree w/ your analogies of spring. Last week I was gnashing my teeth at old man winter and somehow in a few short days he released the hold and gave way to the breast of spring (men do that, they can't help it). Rains today and yesterday for us but this weekend I'll be in my garden church for sure. hope you can find a nice sun spot to settle in soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

I like the bird and flower photos, especially the smaller birds like sparrows and chickadees. Doves have always been a favorite, too.

I believe you are correct about men and breasts.

Hope you have some great gardening. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's nice that there is Palm Sunday in the USA too. And what about Paschal Triduum? In Europe(e. g. Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Hungary) it is so important time, full of different spiritual meanings. My family knows that I love Easter. Easter breakfast is beautiful. Oh, I miss this holiday so much; yes, I miss also spring flowers, however there is a lot of tulips in Warsaw now ( I think about flower stalls), and they are rather cheap. I'll buy a sweet bouquet tomorrow. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola,

The tradition is recognized by many different churches in the USA. Then again, some of our churches do not recognize Easter as having any importance at all with Christian doctrine.

Hope you find yourself a beautiful flower. :-)

Mark said...

Rained some yesterday and a fair amount today. But you can feel spring is in the air. With the time changing this weekend people feel a little more enrgy with the daylight hanging around later.

Once the leaves start to come out I am going to head to Bluefield for a day and see what my property looks like. I am sure it is a mess.

Hopefully I can rent a heavy duty weed eater and hack the place down and do some general cleaning.

I still need to do my taxes. i never got around to it a few weeks ago. Being lazy.

Your photo philosophy is great.

Anonymous said...

A trip to Bluefield will be nice if the weather is decent.

I'm not doing as many tax returns for other people so far this year; folks must be putting them off til last minute.

Mark said...

Wow. It does not seem like it was that long ago. Well your blog is one of the things that I do one the web everyday. For me doing something on the web, besides just zip around, is quite rare. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark.
I am very glad to have you here. :-)

Blog Archive