Friday, March 26, 2010

See the USA in your Chevrolet ...






What is it with Catholic priests and little boys? This latest scandal seems to be heading straight to the Pope's doorstep. Would not the right thing to do be to allow priests to have wives upon whom they can bestow their lust? Just like the Pope and every other male born of woman, they are men first and priests second; they were not brought into this world anointed but they were born with sex organs, curiosity, and then lust as they matured. Are the little boy's lives and mental well being worth wasting because of religious dogma? I am not being anti-Catholic; I am being pro child.
----
I went for my shot and could not find a parking spot, so I drove on to the bank to make a deposit and from there to the post office. Because it was cold and rainy, I didn't take the Pentax with me but opted to carry the little Olympus. Carolyn had mentioned she saw a couple of old signs while she was out one evening. She said they were located where the city was demolishing an old tobacco warehouse that had later on become a Chevrolet dealership. I need to regress a bit. You may remember from a year or so ago I wrote about the annual festivities that used to go on when the new car models were introduced. One dealership—Faircloth Chevrolet—always had the best shows of country, hillbilly, and gospel music at those times and drew in a lot of folk to see the new cars. I think I mentioned that I remembered the 1959 model year goings-on very well. To my surprise, the signs Carolyn found were two old ads from the 1959 model year that had been painted on a brick wall. The wall was part of the old body shop; I know that because I had my 1966 Chevelle worked on there. The paint on the signs still looks fairly fresh because they were on an inside wall and until a week or so ago had never been introduced to the weather. I about peed on myself as the memories of those days came back to me as I stood and looked at the artwork. I fnally remembered why I was there and snapped off a few shots; those jewels will probably be gone forever by this time next week. They may not look like much to you, but to me, they are golden. I am going to upload them to Flickr and put them in appropriate groups. I eventually got my other shot.
----
The Smoking Gun's Mug Shots of the Week!
----
Have a great Saturday!
----

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, if I may express my opinion...; as you know I'm catholic and it would be rather difficult for me to accept a priest who is married, because celibacy is a deep tradition of my church (v. often they are monks and priests in one time). It is not problem of religious dogma, I think. It is problem of men who are pedophiles. Pedophiles are in different places and in different cultures (I hope you know a movie "Monsoon Wedding" by Mira Nair). Very often pedophiles are in families of these poor hurt kids. Some time ago there was a great debate in my country how to protect our children against pedophilia. It should be high protection, because it is really disgusting crime. All such events should be investigated in clear way and we (public opinion) should know all their aspects.
---
Have a wonderful Sunday, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your comment, my friend. I agree with your principles.

I realize that tradition is difficult to break, but with the cover-ups, refusal to accept responsibility, and allowing the crimes to remain on-going, something drastic needs to be done. This is very widespread in the church, and church should be a place of refuge for society's harmed; not a sanctuary for those criminals doing the damage. If the church refuses to meaningfully act against the offenders, then society via its laws should do so. The governing body (Papacy) should act in a way that will reassure we lay persons that they know our helpless children are are our most precious gifts, and that their welfare is not to be taken lightly. Good people like yourself must put pressure on the clergy and make then see that you care enough to make whatever changes are necessary to stop the outrage.

Thanks Jola; I know you care.

Mark said...

The politics of the Catholic church are quite troubling for their masses.

Love those signs.

Anonymous said...

Churches should be more open, but it will not happen. Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive