Saturday, March 06, 2010

Jukes and cheeseburgers




A Olympus E-PL1 Micro Four thirds camera review can be found here. I still don't like the idea of having to buy a viewfinder as an accessory.
----
My blood work was fine; the previous test was probably a false positive on the platelet count. My only concern was that I might of had to take reduced methotrexate injections and anything less than 90 percent of full dosage would have been a disaster as I would likely have been bed-ridden most of the time. That would be unacceptable.
----
The Lady Vols won yesterday's game and will play again today at 3:30 pm against Vanderbilt whom they have beaten twice this season. Should be an interesting game.
----
The sky is crystal clear for the second straight day and I will soon be perching my hairy butt on the porch and soaking some much needed sunshine; if the wind isn't interfering with my comfort zone. Tomorrow I am going to ride some back roads looking for photo ops. Carolyn says she knows where a derelict Pepsi truck sits in a field, so I will probably check it out. How she knows this about a lonely country road, I feel it best not to ask; some things husbands just do not need to know. I also remember passing an old Pontiac ad painted on the side of a barn; maybe I can get a shot of it, too.
----
The photo is from 2007 and is of is a place from my youth; until it closed probably about 40 years ago, this was Guy's Cafe in downtown Johnson City. It was located at the edge of the main shopping area and was very popular in the heyday of the city's prominence as a retail attraction. It was directly across Market Street from the lovely Arcade Building which was torn down several years ago. As you walked in the front door, the cash register sat on the long counter that adorned nearly the entire length of the building. Plastic and chrome covered swivel stools were along the counter and traveled its full length to the lone restroom and jukebox in the very back. On the other side of the aisle were small booth-type tables which would barely seat four people. Large plate-glass windows made it easy for those inside to see those passing by on the outside, and for outsiders to check out if any friends were having lunch. Behind the counter was the small kitchen where cheeseburgers, brown beans, mashed potatoes, and cornbread were prepared along with a few other food items. On the counter near each stool and on each table was a minature of the jukebox where the tunes were listed and you could insert a nickel for a song or three songs for a dime. It was pretty well a typical diner of the era, except for one thing; they prepared the tastiest cheeseburgers I have ever had the pleasure of eating. As a small child, I would gladly forgo having my mom buy me a toy at Kress just to get one of those magnificent burgers. I patronized the cafe until the owner passed away and it just wasn't the same afterward; it died with the remainder of downtown.

I happened to drive by the old place a couple weeks ago, just to find it has joined the Arcade building and is now a little used parking lot. It was a saddening feeling, one that only an old person can comprehend. To most people whom passed it each day, it was a decrepit eye-sore I suppose, but to me, another important and irreplaceable piece of my life's puzzle had gone missing.
----
The Smoking Gun's Mug Shots of the Week!
----
Happy Trails to you, my friends!
----

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this story; especially the conclusion moved me. I know such scenery only from some of the American movies. Guy's Cafe ... Nice. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola,

Thanks very much, Sometimes my life seems like a surreal movie. :-)

Mark said...

It is too bad about Guy's Cafe. Places like that are one of the small things that are the indentity of a town. There was a place call "Ag and I's" near my high school and we sneak out of school and head down there for breakfast and maybe an herbal remedy. It was great little place. Whenever I go back home I got out once or twice with my parents to a place near home for breakfast. You always run into any number of people you know and it is such a cool thing. Total small town America.

Anonymous said...

Our small town feeling is now in the mall and super shopping centers. I miss the little diners, bars, and drug stores.

Blog Archive