Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shooting and shopping



Yesterday, I had to remove my photo editing program and reinstall it; Windows becomes corrupted so easily. It happens on occasion with Linux, but nowhere near like Microsoft products. MS is so interested in protecting their "intellectual property" that they seem to forget what the property is supposed to do.
----
Photography for me has been much like a lot of my lifetime undertakings; basically one shot from the hip and then find something else of interest. I am mostly an opportunist; if I see something I like, I shoot it. I usually shoot it just like I first see it because that is how I first liked it. The above photo is one such; I was walking a woodland path and looked down and saw this scrubby-looking fellow digging in to the earth beneath the leaves. I put the camera to my eye and made one shot before he became hidden under the autumn beauty. I don't think I could have found a better shooting angle if I had tried. The light was not going to change much for the good as it was a hazy, late afternoon so I took a deep breath and fired my best shot. I got the results I wanted.
----
I'm going to ride along in the van with Carolyn as she goes futon shopping today. I refuse to shop with her because she can never make up her mind. If she goes into the store alone, she will make a decision within a few minutes; if I go in with her, after a half-hour of not having a clue I get pissed and go back to the car. If I am with her, she has to look at everything in the store; everything. If I am waiting in the parking lot, she looks at only half. I do my shopping online.
----
Speaking of online shopping, early in 2009 I purchased a Pentax 50mm f/1.4 "prime" lens from Amazon.com. I bought it for its light weight, the ability to use the focus ring even when the camera is on auto-focus, and it is great for low-light shots as I hate using anything above ISO 100 and I very much dislike using flash. I paid $195 for a lens which I knew at the time Pentax was in the process of discontinuing. It has always been the company's most popular lens, and now the demand is so high the price has risen to $393 and has been as much as $478. Used ones are selling at $325+ and I would love to have a neat profit, but I also love the little lens. Until my stomach growls loudly enough to force me to sell it, it will stay with me.
----
Tuesday is the first day of waiting for the weekend. Have a good one!
----

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I love the photo Ken. before I read your daily news I studied the photo and immediately thought of a little forest gnome with his head buried in the soil and his muscular legs and buttocks high up in the air for all to see. Don't you also love the mystery of crevices and gnome-holes at the base of trees? I have one in my back yard which keeps me amused. I think it will be a slow week.

Maybe Carolyn wants to make the right choice based on what you think so it takes her longer to make decisions in the store. I know I'd rather go shopping w/o Mike any day.. I usually spend more that way.

I am a camera idiot but have found that my new iPod will allow me to take mini-movies about 2.5 minutes long so I am entertaing myself with that and wishing I had a video camera when my kids were little to record their growing up stuff.

The zinnias are popping through the dirt and the butterflies will be here soon. happy Tuesday. Dance day.

Anonymous said...

Lens Pentax 50 mm is sweet, Ken. I bought my new camera online too. It was simply less expensive than in store.
Photographic items are almost like a poetry for me. I love them. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy and happy dancing.
It is a wonder the little gnome didn't get away before I could shoot him. I don't have many trees, but two of them do have gnome holes. They have to share them with various critters on occasion. The squirrels always approach them with their cautionary tail-forward nosiness. :-)
Mark's camera takes great video with very good sound; if he gets a new one, "borrow" his Canon S3. ;-)
Not much going on flower-wise here except daffodils.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola.

IN US, prices are not only cheaper online, but most of the time we don't have to pay sales tax at nearly 10%.

Same here with photo gear: I would like to have a darkroom and go back to shooting and processing film and making my own prints. I'm too old for such things these days, though.

Have a poetic Wednesday. :-)

Blog Archive