Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mega-sniping


E.T.?

Other than you-all and my humble self, I am finding there is nothing perfect in this web world. I like both Flickr and Megashot, but both have problems that should be addressed by the administrators. Megashot is an infant and is having growing pains as it is still in Beta testing stage and will probably remain so for a good while. The worse thing about the site is a lack of variety in photographic presentations and skills. A lot of the members are are professional "art" photographers and a lot of others are wannabe high-art photographers. They wear their Photoshop software as if were their clothing. I really cannot find out just what kind of photographer the site will cater to in the future, but right now some of us everyday shooters feel left out in the cold. There also many technical issues with the site which should be easily addressed and a few of them are very inconvenient. I've never been able to get the tagging system to work right, so I quit using it. There are also many complaints about people not commenting on other folk's photos and one thing under consideration is if you post a photo to the site, you must comment on at least two others. I don't like to be forced to do anything like this because there are so many variables among individuals and the way they want or need to use the site. Another thing is the Explore feature; it is one of the best things about Megashot, but sometimes I think I am the only one that uses it. Near every time I post a photo, I put it on Explore for other members to critique, and I always rate at least two photos that other people post while I am there. It seems odd that just about every photo I rate either makes photo of the day, photo of the week, photo of the month, or all time highest rated photo in its category. I must be in the minority when it comes to rating of photos.

Megashot isn't all bad; in fact it is so good in so many ways that I am sometimes awed by everything there. It is very customizable, but you have to be able to use some kind of software to do much of the customizing. It is very easy to do after you have done it once and is in fact one of the more fun things about the site. Another good thing about Megashot is its ease to access about everything there; it is a well designed site. I believe it or something similar in design will be the future of photo sharing and socializing on the web. I hope Megashot eventually fills the bill.
----
If my brain is still working, tomorrow I will make a comment or six about Flickr.
----
Have a tremendously wonderful Thursday!
----

6 comments:

Mark said...

There a lot of growing pains and I still find many things that do not seem to work correctly. I want to keep my complaining to a minimum. However if Cyrus wants to hear what the issues are i will let him know. Do not want to be labeled as a whiner.

Forcing people to comment is a bad bad idea. They need to work out all the little bugs before they start making rules like that. The comments will come as the problems get fixed, the site grows and there are a larger variety of pictures. I still find a lot of things that do not seem to work.

The concept of the site is great with each person having their own site within a site. The customization is a great feature.
Growing pains for sure. We shall see. I'll do my part to help.

Anonymous said...

Here is what Cyrus said on my Facebook page when we were discussing forcing people to comment.
------------------------

yes,
it is difficult to make people do anything, but we will succeed and we will do well, I am sure. We need to do one thing first and that is,,, to increase the traffic to the site and we have already done well, We are rank now, 3 on google rank and that is very good. we have a lot of traffic to the site, people are checking us out. look at the forum posts, they are getting a lot of hits.
So,,

the idea is to make Megashot page a desirable place to post. This can only happen if we comment and click on the photos, and more and more people will play the explore and will participate. We can do it, I know we can. All we need to do, is making some comments and it takes only a few minutes
Later this week, we are tring to make it such that, if you lonk your photo on your own wall, comments received from facebook friends, will also be printed on your own pp too. this will also encourage people link to facebook and direct traffic to mega. We have the traffic, all things will fall in place. It will happen, but it will take a little time. the more we can enourage participation, the faseter the process .
I am also making a video tutorial on how to use the profile page. It is taking a lot of time, but almost done. that should be of help I guess.
Thank you Ken, for all you have done.
Cyrus

Mark said...

Ok, I got most of that.

Three on Google rank. Wonder about the how and where that comes from. He is correct that the forums are getting hits. Nice that mine was a bitch about things.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what categories Google uses to rank certain sites, nor what their criteria are. Cyrus probably knows what he is talking about, though.

I liked your forum post. Sometimes a little bitchin' gets things out of stagnation.

Thanks, Mark.

Maggie said...

Hi there Grumpy. :-)

on our trip we had Sneezy and Dopey in attendance! These dwarfs are catching on! Snow White? nowhere to be found! White washed... yeah.. politics! Let me get off that depressing subject!

About the foto fart... ooopps no potty jokes please, we are all grown up adults here.. What I am trying to say is: We will all use the site how ever we want to use it. I am not concerned about what others might want to do with their pages. I intend to comment as much as possible for now; and, when the site is up and running anyone outside of my sphere of interest can go comment their own kind. I think the communities might be seeing more action when people discover them and where they might be comfortable. Its where I do most of my comments. There is a lot I want to do with the gardening community yet too.. but will wait until people get used to the idea that Megashot is not Flickr. Think of the discussions!
As far as explore goes: I just showed a friend how to use the game, earlier (and this was a friend who has been on the site for a long time). We need questions like Mark's in the forum! Trouble is, everyone is busy playing Flickrites when they should be Megashites! :-) But, each to his own. MIMS has some interesting stuff. But if you do not know where to look, its hard to find. I hope the search page becomes a good place to find things. I love how that page looks. I believe it will become better with more input and more data.

Forced to comment? Can't be serious! We are growing quite nicely, I think. If you look at my stats or Cyrus stats you will see that either of us have made far more comments than received! I have not checked any others. I feel that we have a special place here at Megashot and want to keep it friendly, helpful (if we can) and just a "good" place to be. Soon there will be far too many people with all kinds of photography or photo art, so do not worry about 'our kind' of stuff. Lots of people already have our kind, I think. OK enough rah rah rah

Thanks for looking at whimsies .. Jiri has been helping too. Its great to have good internet friends like you. I only need a few good friends, rather than all those contacts. So, I help grow the site, so that I can soon get back into my nice quiet comfortable corner. But I still know that there is lots of variety out there to view and be interested in.

cheers

Anonymous said...

I comment from Explore, Communities, Network, and even from Facebook. It looks like we are picking up two or three members each day now, and that will surely increase as out tale is told across the net. Yeah, we can be more choosy then. No more than what I do there is time consuming, and I like that part too.

You are welcome on the whimsies bit; I would like to have faved and commented on all of them, but ... :-)

Thanks, Maggie.

Blog Archive