Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Corel PaintShop Photo Pro revisited


Yes, the roof is that red!

Seeing as how Corel Corporation looked in on my blog to read what I said about their product Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3, I wll say a bit more. As for slowness, it could be due in part to me using Windows XP which is not optimized for multi-core processors. The program "should" be faster using Windows 7, but I cannot guarantee it. One problem is that when the main editor program is running and you need to use the Organizer to find a file, you are in effect running two editing programs because the organizer is capable of using some of the main editing tools. The part that isn't running in effect becomes what we old-timers call a tsr or terminate and stay resident program which is not active but is still using memory for quick access. You can find more of them in your Windows system tray. In order to try to cover all bases, there is another feature called "Express Lab" from which you can do simple editing tasks much like with Picasa or Picnik. Another feature is the "RAW" file importer and converter; I find it clunky and difficult to use so I still rely on my dependable and free Raw Therapee editor/converter. PsPP does have a decent HDR tool and I do not need anything more than it for my limited work in that area. Corel seems to be trying to cover all bases with one program, but is has resulted in a bloated work environment. But one thing for sure, when you are editing from the main window, there is not another program anywhere more easy to use and capable of performing professional work than is PaintShop Photo Pro. With this release, they should have left the word "Pro" out of the title and maybe called it "One Size Fits All". For me, it is a step backward, aggravating, and slow to have to switch between the editor and organizer. So far, PsPP has been pretty stable but it will sometimes lockup when it gets low on memory resources. Like it or not, I will make more comments about the program as I use it more. By the way, Corel included a free copy (Essentials) of their Corel Painter Photo 4 program; It is much fun to use as you watch it convert your photos to various painting styles from oil to illustration. I used it on yesterday's blog photo and I like it.
----
A bit more about the ongoing priest-pedophile scandal. First, priests do not become child molesters; child molesters become priests ... and a lot of other professions. The main reason most cases of priests abusing children are not prosecuted in the US is due to the children's stories are not being told until they become adults, and in most instances the statute of limitations law protects the offenders. This law in effect says that as far as society is concerned, nothing happened. Why do the offended wait so long to tell their stories? For the first few years they fear the pedophiles, and later on, they fear the stigma. Also, many times when they do come forward with their "childish" tales, they are not believed or are convinced that it was their imagination. This last big scandal concerns the abuse of about 200 deaf boys in Wisconsin between the years of 1950 and 1975.

All I want to know is why the Catholic Church in the United States tries—and in many cases succeeds—in covering up or white-washing these crimes. Even the Pope is being accused of cover-up while he was a Cardinal. Documents claim to show that he stopped a church trial against the Wisconsin priest accused of the crimes because that priest told him he had repented.

Seems to me like two major things need to happen: The church must act to investigate and stop these crimes when they are reported, and the civil statute of limitations must be repealed on all sex crimes, particularly those involving defenseless children.

Again; I am not being anti-church. I am pro-child. These acts are crimes against people and against humanity and must be treated as such.
----
Have a great Tuesday!
----


6 comments:

Tammy said...

well said. I've been mulling this over in my mind for a while too. There is a show on the tube called "Locked Up", ever see it? It is a documentary style format depicting the prison life of various prisons in this country. I have noticed that prisoners won't tolerate child molesters among them and serve their own form of justice to those that do get past the segregation. Sounds like fair game to me. What really needs to happen is a way to keep this from ever happening again.

Anonymous said...

It is very sad that these boys were molested for so long time and nobody stopped it. Now all these persons ( and families) should have v. good therapists. I know that they went to Rome. Poor people and really brave. I understand their despair. I hope that pope Benedict XVI will not ignore their dramatic questions.

Thanks for the photo of red/white house, Ken. It's beautiful. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've seen the program; the best a child molester can hope for is a pardon or early death.

I don't think psychological science is capable of weeding out these people; many of them were abused themselves as children and know how to hide their emotions. Swift prosecution and punishment is about all we have at present.

Thanks, Tammy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

I believe you are correct; if the Pope says for it to stop and if he puts some bite into his edict, it will go a long way in curtailing the outrage.

It is a good looking old house. :-)

Mark said...

The pope is part of the "old guard" and will do nothing. The church needs so leaders that are a little more progresive and understand the ways that society has changed. I do not see that happening any time soon.

Anonymous said...

2,000 years of stoic unwillingness to change is hard to change. Religion ignores the obvious.

Blog Archive