Thursday, March 25, 2010

Photo stuff


Tiny wildflowers (weeds) in backyard

Overcast and threatening rain. I love Spring!
----
Black and white cheat-sheet found at this nice web site and the pages have a lot of good stuff for non-pros. I think there is a fold-away light box in my future.
----
I went into the backyard for an attempt at shooting some spring flowers but my inability to crawl around prevented me from catching any decent photos. Is not that I can't get on the ground; it is that I cannot get on my feet again unless I can find something with which to pull myself up. I did the best I could and guessed at the focus distance, held the camera as low as I could, clicked the shutter and hoped for the best. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday was a doesn't for the most part.
----
I am trying the latest version Of Corel's Paintshop Pro which is now called Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3. It is supposed to be a much better experience, particularly for newer users wanting to step up from simple photo editors like Picasa and Picnik. It is supposed to be faster, easier, and more "fun" to use than the previous 12 versions. It supposedly sports better use of multi-core processors and not be as much of a memory hog as the past few versions. To make a long story shorter, Paintshop Pro began back in the early 1990's as a Windows shareware program; try it and if you like it send Jasc (the originators of the program) $39 and it was yours to keep. My first version was either Psp 3 or Psp 4 and it was an easy to use replacement for expensive and difficult to learn Adobe Photoshop. When Psp 9 appeared, Corel bought the program from Jasc. Corel has one product that it is famous for; Corel Draw. I still use an early 90's version of the program. The problem is, Corel has several programs they are infamous for. They bought WordPerfect which at the time was the most widely used word processor and office suite and soon changed it so much that it is now mostly a footnote in computer history. They did the same with one of the better Linux distros, and now have done the same with what used to be the best photo editor in the world, hands down. It beat Photoshop in just about every category. PsP 13 is a dog! Slow-slow-slow! It no longer has the ability to show its photo organizer on the main editing screen; now you have to click a special button and wait (in my case several seconds) for the editor to load in place of the editing screen, then do the same thing to get back to editing. It is very time consuming to get anything done and everything is much harder and slower to use. I had to disable the RAW editor so I could get something done before my funeral. Built-in editing features are much slower than in PsP 12, and the only thing I find that is faster is third-party scripts. Also the price has increased by $20, but it looks like sales are so bad that they are reducing it. I can get an upgrade for $60. My advice: Don't even think about it.
My pc has a three-core processor that is very fast and 4-gigs of ram plus a modern video card with 512K of on-board video memory.
----
I'm glad that "American" companies like Google, Network Solutions, and Go Daddy have decided to stop being political pawns for the communist Chinese government.
----
Have a Springy Thursday!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your photo of weeds in backyard, Ken. It reminds me some of my pictures of wet meadows of Biebrza National Park (Podlasie). It's so nice texture..., green grass and little white and yellow flowers (my Polish 'kwiatuszki').
As for the photo stuff, oh, I think I'm not enough talented and not enough patient to use it. But I like to see the effects. :-)

Anonymous said...

I did nothing to the photo except convert it from RAW and crop a little bit.

Don't try to fool me, young lady! I know you are very talented.

Thanks, Jola. :-)

Blog Archive