Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alone again ... naturally


Bouquet in spring sunlight


The second Friday in March just seems not to be a good day for me.
----
We had thunderstorms and some high wind gusts last evening after having temps near 70° for much of the day. I seldom wear a coat or jacket when I go get my shot, and for the first time in months I didn't feel the cold on my bare arms. Carolyn was out somewhere most of the day, so I stopped by the park after getting my fix and sat on a bench for awhile. The grass is turning green and the willows are covered with tiny leaves. Any day now the red maple trees will bloom, teasing the sinuses and tempering the glory of the season. St. Patrick's Day is Wednesday, and Mother Earth is putting on her finest greens to celebrate (or is it the other way around?); she doesn't much care about seasonal allergies. I carried my little Olympus camera with me but I just didn't feel much like making photos; actually there wasn't much to see anyway. One lone walker was out with her dog, and they were too far away to create a decent photo op.

Today is rainy and cool and there will be many such days before we make the final turn into summer-like weather. The "dogwood winter", "red bud winter", "blackberry winter", and one or two more "winters" will have to be endured before May brings her lovely smile. Even at that, we can still have frost and snow in the early days of that month. Don't forget that Daylight Saving Time begins tonight in the USA. What will you do with your extra hour of evening daylight?
----
I hope next weekend is pretty weather-wise as I need some down-time in the mountains; just me, a stump to rest my back against, a notebook and pencil, and a paperback book to read; they all are my friends with whom I am comfortable. Even far back in the hills there is no absolute quiet even to my tinny old ears. Mother Nature is forever busy in springtime, trying to make sure there is balance in her world. I never carry or use an iPod or such; the music comes from within the souls of all living things; it is time for us to rejoice in her fresh harmonies. Just don't sit in bear poop.
----
Somewhere in my grandmother's things is her hand-written recipe for root beer. As a small boy I would help her dig sassafras roots in spring and summer, and she would make some darn delicious tonic. I need to find the paper and see about grubbing some roots when the sap comes up.
----
The Smoking Gun's Mug Shots of the Week!
----
Have a wonderful Saturday!
----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today was our shopping day. We went to IKEA, Swedish store, to buy a new chair for our daughter. Swedish style of life fascinates me, so I visited also their little grocery. All items were eco there. Tomato sauce-eco, pasta shells-eco, gingerbread cookies-eco, and so on. I bought some of them and I wonder if it did make sense. Polish products are much cheaper than Swedish, and they are usually eco too, however this word "eco" is not written. Well, I think I'm a victim of Swedish marketing tricks. ;-))

Ken ... you like to underline that you are country boy, so I will cook these noodles-eco, and we check together its sophisticated eco taste.

It is very strange word (for my ears) - "sassafras". It is unknown plant in my country, I think. I love a music of the souls of all living things too.

Anonymous said...

There are Ikea stores in US, too, but I have never visited one. I think a lot of the eco stuff is mostly marketing.

The eco-noodles sound mighty fine. We have organic stores here that sell only products that are grown naturally without commercial fertilizers or things to enhance meat production. It is more costly but probably worthwhile for our health.

I will post a photo of sassafras leaves; they smell wonderful.

Thanks, Jola :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken
My grandmother used make sassafras tea and make us take it when we had a cold. I guess it helped.
Alice

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,

There is another memory you should write about. We had to drink unsweetened or mildly-sweetened sassafras tea for colds, flu, and sore throat. In summer when we had ice available, she would make us sweetened root beer. I can't remember how or when during the process that she sweetened it. It was a treat, though.

Mark said...

When the weather is nicer on a consistent basis I am driving over for some root beer.

Anonymous said...

I will send you my address and cell #. Be glad to have you. :-)

Blog Archive