Thursday, October 01, 2009

Gardening




Carolyn's tomato plants did so well, she is talking full sized garden for next year. Jerry has plenty of room for such and told his mom they together could plant one. She seems to forget the last one she "grew" back in '78. It amazingly tuned into a weed patch in only a few weeks; I ended up feeding the corn--stalks and all--to my neighbor's horses. They did not much care for giant okra. My last gardening adventure also ended in utter disappointment; it was in the mid-seventies when a farmer's cows ate my dope plants. If you have read my short story Dan, Dan, the Holstein Man, you know what I am saying. Stupid cows!
----
Today is shot day; if I can make myself drive the three miles to the doc's office. Back in the day, three miles was easy walking distance and I would not have hesitated to hoof it. Seems like I live within three or four miles of everywhere I need to go. There are two convenience/gasoline stores, three large grocery stores including an organic food store, all three of my doctors, the hospital, the post office, three drug stores, several banks and credit unions, a city park, pizza parlors and other fine and fatal fast-food joints, a good Mexican restaurant, a good Italian restaurant, a good Chinese restaurant, a Japanese restaurant (I haven't been there; I cannot imagine eating raw fish), a fresh doughnut shop, three dry-cleaners, a used-clothing and shoe store, a Radio Shack, A UPS store, an auto repair shop, and best of all, the library at East Tennessee State University. All that with a cow pasture and a hay field behind my house. Even more, I can see Buffalo and Cherokee mountains from my back porch. I like it here.
----
Yesterday and the day before were about par for my photo making trips; Tuesday was sunny so I left the slow lens on the Pentax, but as soon as I was about a mile from home, the clouds quickly moved in making for rough shooting times. Yesterday it was cloudy, so I put the fast 50mm on the camera and before I got to Jonesborough the sun was shining.
----

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I also know where you live. Yep. It's lovely and comfort place with all these stores, restaurants, library and beautiful nature you can see from your porch.
I love such details. :-)

Anonymous said...

Back in the mid-eighties, I also helped build the houses in my sub-division. Before the subdivision was begun, I often roamed these hills and fields making photos.
Thanks, Jola. :-)

Mark said...

It must seem strange when you think of the way things were before all the building took place.

I would enjoy the cow pasture and hay field. My sinus problems may not like them as much.

Anonymous said...

Between the hay filed and tree pollen, my allergies have an interesting life. The pollen is not so bad this year due to rain, but mold spores are even worse.

Blog Archive