Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Googled




I am trying the Google Chrome browser again; it is much improved over the first version. Like everything that Google does, it takes some getting used to, but it seems to be faster than what it was and even faster than Firefox in some situations. As for security, I do not yet trust it with personal information; Google does not have a great track record for protecting that kind of info. They still do not have a decent release for Linux users, but the rumors are hot. In its final incarnation as an operating system, when you turn your computer on, it will boot directly to the internet. Many software companies are preparing web-only applications, and Google already has its own internet office suite, although at the present it is mostly limited to a word processor and spreadsheet which are supposed to be open source, meaning that each individual can change the apps to suit themselves. I tried to upload open source files to the Google spreadsheet, but it would not open them. It is all called "cloud computing" and a bunch of other developers including Microsoft and IBM are trying to catch the first cumulus.
----
As for Win7, I really see no reason to upgrade from Win XP to the system. Win7 has a lot of fluff and glitter, is more secure than any Windows release ever made, boots quicker, and handles multi-media better, but for me, I would be downgrading if I changed from Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu is just plain easier to use. If you think that upgrading to Win7 from Win XP will be easy, you've got another think coming as its interface is nothing like XP. I've been testing Win7 for a couple of weeks, and all I can say is that it is ok. My advice: unless you are buying a new computer with the OS pre-installed, stay away from it. I will probably keep using it on a limited basis until the license runs out on March 1st, then I hope to be using a version of Linux as my only OS, although I will run XP inside Linux as a virtual machine just to have access to Quickbooks.
----

2 comments:

Mark said...

Once the Google Chrome is up and running as it needs to be then I will use it.

Anonymous said...

The Chrome browser is running very good and it is faster than Firefox or IE, and is probably as secure as IE. Basically, browsers are browsers, and they are all vying for advertisement money; use the one you are most comfortable with. I like Firefox because I've been using it since it was introduced and it has a lot of useful extras the others don't.

Blog Archive