Thursday, October 15, 2009

Happy Birthday, Alice ...


Happy Birthday, Dear Alice

Another night while awaiting sleep to return, I got to thinking about which was the most influential rock band of the last quarter of the 20th century. I know; I need to get a life. Never the less, one face kept registering on my mind's eye even as I tried to dismiss it: Joey Ramone. I believe the Ramones were great influences on not only the Punk genre which they helped create, but also on the 80's hair bands, the so-called new-wave rock, the metal movement of the 80's and 90's, alternative rock, and definitely on the grunge bands that jumped out of the Seattle nightclub scene. I am not saying I particularly liked the group's music (I do like some of their stuff), but that they surely deserve their place in the rock hall of fame mainly due to their hard work and influence on rock-&-roll overall. In my opinion, not much good has come out of the big-time music world since the mid-seventies, and disco really, really sucked. I say that as I think of my pastel-pink leisure suit, massive-collared yellow shirt, Joe Namath endorsed cowboy boots, and a room full of flashing multi-colored lights I awed my friends with at frequent parties. I never did have a coke spoon necklace, although I did sport a small neck chain with a jade inlaid marijuana leaf.

I must buy sleeping pills.
----
Here is an off-the-beaten-path movie that some of you may enjoy, titled Shirley Valentine. It is adapted from a one-character play and it begins in Liverpool, England and ends in Mykonos, Greece. It does have a short scene of breast nudity, so if you find that bothersome you may want to miss this flick. Be sure to read the Wikipedia entry for a plot synopsis. Pauline Collins as Shirley and Tom Conti as Costas are outstanding in my opinion. I am not too hard to please when it comes to movies, and I have this one in my top 10 list. Of course I have Sin City and Killer Klowns from Outer Space on the same list; I am weird that way.
----
Carolyn went to the grocery store yesterday; I will gladly trade some boxes of Dots candy for some packs of candy corn.
----
Happy Birthday, Alice. You are a super person and a good friend; you will always remain beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken
Thanks for the Birthday message.
I would love to have some candy corn also. Now if it would just quit raining, I probably quit thinking about how old I have turned.
Alice

Anonymous said...

This weather is miserable, fer shur. I don't think the leaves will be pretty this year; they are turning brown before they color.

My worst year was when I turned 50, and everything since I have treated as just another day. One day older is much easier to fathom than is a full year.

Tammy said...

Ok you guys. I need you to tell this 41 year old what is wonderful about the aging process. Enough of the bad. Tell me how wise you feel, or how the sex gets better, or that you love better, that the air smells better, that the slowing down of your body has helped you to see life with more clarity ....

Otherwise, what hope do you leave me?

I have always had friends who were considerably older than me and I have always cherished them for their wisdom, laughter, and lack of pretentiousness.

Growing old is not for sissies.

Peace on this Friday my lovely, wise, older friends..

Peanuts are becoming too expensive and the squirrels are inviting all their friends. I bought a bag of corn and they are going to have to deal with the cutbacks.

Anonymous said...

Hehheh! Thanks, Tammy for making me smile. I will have to let Alice talk about wisdom; she is the wise one.

Old folks don't talk much to younger people about how they feel; they usually cannot comprehend the changes we have endured.

Sex: The worst was (is) always wonderful, but I can say I did not peak sexually until my late-fifties.

I do not love better, but love comes easier and is more hurtful when it is taken away; women may see it differently.

Some changes are subtle. Hearing, seeing, smells, touch, taste; none are as acute as once they were, but are still as exciting.

Having good memories of events happy and sad is important for me.

I am wise enough to tell you not to walk alone on the foggy path; human companionship cannot be replaced, even with a puppy.

Except for the pain of losing more and more of the people you have known, love, and respect, real life isn't much different for old people than for you youngsters.

I could go on for a long time and you would still not know, and you are obviously intelligent and wise; you just have to walk the walk.

A 50# sack of peanuts is about $75 at the market, I am using a few peanuts, corn, and sunflower seed for the squirrels, chipmunks, and groundhog, and mostly sunflower seed and suet for the birds.

Have a great day, youngster. ;-)

Blog Archive