Tuesday, October 27, 2009

“I’ll sleep with you for a meatball.”




Not much happening today ... except again it rains. I'm happy that we were able to have one pretty day for shooting the fall colors. I did not make a lot of decent photos Sunday, but most of what I did get are at least presentable. I am now back to my weekly routine and will drive Carolyn to Fall Branch and Boones Creek to clean the buildings later on. I am almost caught up on my email, and the new photography site is coming along well. I have more than 80 photos posted there, and about all of them have been included on this blog or placed on Flickr. Most of the member's photos there are of such high quality that a snap shooter like me feels a bit lost. I was away from the site for so long I am having problems catching up with the new stuff being added. Thanks to Maggie, I have at least been kept informed.

I am so sick of Flickr being so slow, erratic, and not working. They have a new feature where people can create themed "galleries" and they can select their friends photos for display. That is a good idea, I think. The big catch is that no one can use my photos in their galleries, even though all my settings are optimal for sharing. I can create galleries, but I cannot have my photos in the ones created by others. I think Flickr Central does not like me. If they are hinting that I should leave, well, my pro account dies in April, and as of now, I have no intention of renewing it. I only ask for my money's worth like other pro members are receiving.
----
Wednesday the new version of Ubuntu Linux will be released and I am antsy to play with all the new and changed features. I will try a 32 bit upgrade first, and if it does not install well, it will give me a good excuse to clean install a 64 bit version. I used it once before, but there were so very few 64 bit apps that is wasn't worthwhile. Now, Firefox and my GIMP photo editor are 64 bit, along with several more that I use. One thing I have found out; Linux runs 32 bit programs on its 64 bit releases much better than does Windows 7. If you do not purchase one of the two highest priced versions of Win7 64 bit, you may not be able to run legacy apps that worked well on your old XP, and even then it can be iffy.
----
Enough of my whining and pouting for one day.
----

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I took the time to read the article by Pat Jordan and enjoyed it. It wasn't sarcastic but out-there honest. It would be delightful to read a woman's point-of-view of age in that same light.

Keep the photos coming. I am enjoying them. I can almost feel the dry air.

I wish I lived closer so I could trade a belly dance for computer fixin. I hate these contraptions that I am forced to work on all day long.

Lovely Tuesday to you. Tammy

Maggie said...

Hi

Just a quick note, cause, as usual I am running...

On Flickr I am not making galleries and not allowing anyone to use my photos in their galleries. To find out how to do this I went to the galleries FAQ which you have probably done... but here it is: http://www.flickr.com/account/prefs/galleries/

I said "no thanks" to that, as I don't have time to spend on Flickr to see what people are doing with my photos in THEIR galleries.

Glad you had some better weather. You have captured some good color.

The site... well... hope you are still thanking me in a month or two. LOL. It will be better for us snapshooters, once we have gone public. There will be more of us. :-))

Mark said...

Flickr is becoming more like Facebook and Myspace in many ways. It will cause many people to drift to of sites as time rolls along.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

I was hoping you would read it. I too would like to learn a woman's insight of her personal journey into and through the ageing process.

I will glady take a rain check on the belly dance, but I do not know a lot about computers. Like most people, I just like stuff that performs well.

Happy Wednesday, Tammy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Maggie.

The galleries do not bother me very much; once the new wears off, most people probably will pay them little mind anyway. The NIPSA thing that was preventing my photos from being on galleries is now fixed, and it was probably the thing that was keeping my photos from Explore; but maybe not. My techie friend did tell me that Flickr Explore is going through some changes, but he does not know what they are.

I am the snap shooter; you are one of the artists. :-)

Have a good day, Maggie. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think you may like the new photo site, especially if you are interested in real feedback on your work and want to place it for sale. Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive