Sunday, October 18, 2009

Have you ever Skipped to My Lou ... My Darling?

I've been blogging long enough to make a few enemies; and the few I know about are all dissed at my because of something I said about religion. Even though I have written nothing that could be considered personally disparaging toward these folk, one or two of them keep sniping at me in their own blogs, and they very seldom visit Loose Laces any more. I dote on controversy.
----
For the first time, I am giving very serious thought to putting some of my short stories and a poem or two together and fishing for a publisher. I may even consider self publishing, but vanity decrees that if I do so, I will want an ISBN number for the tome. With the book registered internationally, it will be available for retailers like Amazon and others to sell. Selling my babies will be much like if I sold my family, but it is probably better to do so than keep them locked up on my writing blog. Such a wonderful treat awaiting the literary world. To celebrate my "almost decision", I will place another of my "poems" for your derision. Some of you may remember that it was previously on Loose Laces.
----

At Midnight
A song of angst in two part harmony

At midnight
Musky incense in the air
And reefer too
Wine bottles on the floor
Naked bodies by the doors
On the sofa and everywhere

We had a party just you and I
So we thought
But others came by
To share our hour
Of lust and desire
To reap from our bodies
Our hottest fire

In a while you were bedded
With some guy
I lay the parlor with your friend
This hasn't happened
With us ever before
Have we changed
Forevermore

How shall we see each other
Will we avert our eyes
In the morning
You shall be you
I shall be me
Who are we

Will you compare him
To me in our bed
Will I think of her
When I'm your lover
Have we ever
Known each other
Do we know us now

At midnight
Musky incense ascends
Naked bodies on the floors
The wondering begins

©2008 by Ken Anderson. All rights reserved.

----


4 comments:

Tammy said...

Ah, the topic of religion has the potential to create a wide span between friends, collegues, and countries. Once had a long-time friend who just simply dropped me like a bad habit when she became "born-again." Shame, I miss her. I guess those of us who see religion it in a different light (and less sheep-like) have 2 choices: you can state your mind and risk losing friends, or you can keep quiet and risk having your friends think you are something you are not.

A person's actions are what gains my respect. I have some people in my life who are die-hard christians but it is the way they behave in their daily life that I admire and respect. They are aware I am a nonbeliever and they don't push it. I think it is possible for people on both sides to be friends but, unfortunately, you don't see it too often.

I would buy your little book of words. keep me posted.

Interesting poem. I'll have to roll around in that one for a while to savor it.

The squirrels are growing fat on corn.

Lovely week to you & Carolyn. Tammy

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, I haven't lost any real friends because of religion. From hanging out in a bar for many years that was popular to the college crowd, I managed to receive a well-rounded education in just about every religious belief the world has to offer, and I made friends with a lot of those believers. We all got along great.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the book.

As for the poem, I saw it happen with some friends, and the ong-time result wasn't pretty.

Do you have room in your garden to grow a few stalks of corn?

Thanks, Tammy, and have a wonderful week.

Mark said...

You need to publish your poems. I would try a publisher fisrt. There are some small publishers who would help in your quest. However many are turning to self publishing and using the web to get there work out to the masses.
I actually heard a story on NPR about this the other day. One of the things they discussed was the amount of work required now by authors to get their work in front of the public. It was 5% writing and 95% promotion. Most authors do not like it but it is the sign of the times.

Since my grandparents, Moms parents, are born again I have been around them for many years now. Although I have never discussed my views with them I am sure my grandparents have and they treat me very well. We may talk about church in generic turns and it is all ok.

The discussion with my grandparents about church were much deeper. We really never agreed but at the end of the day we were still family and that is what mattered first.

I think all too often that is not the case.

Anonymous said...

I understand and agree, Mark. My views used to be called "peculiar", but now not many mainstream people pay freaks like myself much attention.

Blog Archive