Friday, October 16, 2009

"We simply must accept the fact that Captain Kirk is no longer alive"




What the hell is it with this humongous news "story" about a kid, a ballon ride that wasn't, and absolutely nothing at all. The Great One--Anderson Cooper--spent the best part of an hour detailing the details of the awesome event. Cripes, this would not have made a real news program on a slow day, much less be worthy of interviewing hot air balloon experts, and experts in every field of human stupidity. If Anderson Cooper can win awards for this type of journalistic nincompoopness, it means real journalism has died and gone to its just reward. "This is CNN, the most trusted name in news"; James Earl Jones must be in dire need of work, or maybe he has never tuned in and watched. That particular network lost all its credibility when Ted Turner sold out to Time-Warner, AOL, and the world of glitter. At least Fox News does have stories to broadcast ... even if they have to make them up. Hello Shepard Smith; goodbye Anderson Cooper.
----
A person whom used to work around old people once told me that we smell bad. She said no matter how much you wash us, the scent of age is always reeking. Would someone please smell me and then give me a a good bath and sniff me again to see if it is true? If it is, I will forego my quarterly trips to the creek and stop wasting my time taking monthly showers. I've heard that when you start smelling yourself, everyone else has been smelling you for a week. I am decaying and didn't know it.
----
While I've got a good bitch going, I may as well give the weather some words. Rain, mild to chilly, no sunshine, and they say we will possibly have snow showers tomorrow night. Is it No-freaking-vember? It hasn't even done us the courtesy of frosting yet. You folk in Florida better watch out; I may head that way with my tail between my legs. One more smelly and cantankerous geezer should be tolerable for y'all.
----
My definition of wisdom: Lack of wisdom is knowing better than to do something but doing it anyway. True wisdom is knowing better than to do something and not doing it. My wisdom is knowing better than to do something then doing as much as I think I can stand. If I cannot have some adventure, I do not need to be calling myself a man.
----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only know that the scent of another person is v. important for me. I'm using good soaps, good creams, my clothes are clean, I have a bottle of eau de perfum chanel in my bag each day, also the intimate tissues.
I would like to smell nicely as an old woman too.
Ken, I know that you are kidding with these trips to the creek and these monthly showers. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola. When I was growing up, I had to take a bath each Saturday in a big, metal tub with water heated in a kettle and pots on a wood burning stove. You are correct about me and the monthly showers; I do take one and sometimes two each week now.;-)

The creek thing is partially true; due to my bad knees, I cannot get out of a bathtub any more, so I have found a place on the creek where I can sit on a submerged rock and get a pretty good bath. I do still use lye soap at creek time just for old times sake. Actually, I just like to get naked and frolic in the woods. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Shepherd Smith also covered the balloon boy story, and it's in all the papers. It's something that captured people. At least the reporting on 360 was mainly focused on whether the suspicious event was a hoax.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that is very true; I suppose tv has us so attached to "reality" shows that we cannot pass up an opportunity to exploit ourselves through human interest stories. If tv networks and news organizations had checked the facts before rushing video crews to the scene, the whole thing may have been just an anecdote on the national news. I would be much more interested in seeing news that at least pertains to a large segment of the population than a localized incident blown out of proportion just to grab viewers attention. I wrote the Shepherd Smith/Anderson Cooper statement as a tongue in cheek thing; they are alike. The networks used to support news through entertainment programming, but now news is the entertainment; anything to sell promo time. It is all just plain $$$$$$ these days; I suppose we can never go back to the likes of Walter Cronkite and Douglas Edwards, but I sure miss honest news reporting. Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Creek, rock, forest, and you who like to get naked and frolic ... You are like a nimph from our (Polish) old folk stories.
It's nice, Ken. And I think the scent of such bath is nice too. :-)

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend. Pa.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jola. They say cleanliness is next to godliness, so I am working on sainthood.
Have a wonderful weekend and please stay warm. Pa. :-)

Blog Archive