Friday, October 23, 2009

Flicks


Watauga Lake

Some of my favorite movies, including my very favorite, Casablanca:
  1. I rate Casablanca so high because Humphrey Bogart was at his acting best, Ingrid Bergman was beautiful, Peter Lorre was perfect, Paul Henreid was convincing, Sidney Greenstreet was always one of the best, and Claude Rains was the real star of the movie. Actually the main reason I like the movie is the wonderful dialogue. Casablanca is so far ahead of any other movie, I will just list it as the best and anything else can never be better than second. There is no special order for these also-rans.
  • Mars Attacks: Silly and funny
  • Killer Klowns From Outer Space: Oddball and different
  • Saving Private Ryan: Angst and human sacrifice at its best
  • Forrest Gump: Just plain good and wonderful music
  • Gladiator: Great hero, superb villain, pretty girl
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl: Johnny Depp does good
  • Young Frankenstein: Mel Brooks' best
  • The Flying Deuces: A good comedy by the greatest ever comedy duo
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Classic British humour
  • Operation Petticoat: Cary Grant at his droll best
There are many more I can include in this list, but this is a sample of what I consider cinema entertainment. I do like to laugh at the ridiculous, including myself.
----
Today I have a checkup with the RA doctor, I get my weekly shot, and later I hope to meet with a Flickr friend from out of town. Maybe the weather will not be as bad as the man says it should be. She is coming in to make some fall photos, and all I can do is hope for the best color and conditions. She is another exceptional photographer.

She visited Jonesborough last year and fell in love with the area. I did not get to meet her then, but I hope Carolyn and I can find some good stuff for her photographic eye.
----



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We both ( me and D.) love Forrest Gump. Lovely story, excellent art of narration and really wonderful humor; also the sad tones, so deeply moving. Thanks for reminding me of this American movie, my friend. I have at home this DVD.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to add: have a great time with Kim. She is leaving the comments on your photostream, so I know she is charming person and v. good photographer.

So nice photo of Watauga Lake, Ken. A blue colour of water and the hills covered with gentle mist amaze me each time.
I like this word: Watauga ( I love to repeat it loudly). It was a password on my office pc computer for a long time. Now I have a new one: Podlasie.

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.:-)

Mark said...

Favorites--Pulp Fiction, Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, A Place in the Sun, The Last Waltz and then it gets fuzzy.

Hope your Flickr meetup went well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola,

Forrest Gump had something for everyone. It was so sad when "My Jenny" died of AIDS.

If you ever want to see how things were in the countryside in early part of my life, take a look at the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou?. It is about the same as I lived, except we had a lot of hills. One of the actors (Ed Snodderly) that had a very small part in the movie lives in the same town where I live and owns a very nice little night spot. He is the one on the right in this photo: http://www.davidholt.com/images/obrother_screenshot1_lg.jpg

Thanks. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

Kim is a very nice young lady. The weather here is so bad that we are not getting to do much photography; hopefully we can meet up again later today or tomorrow before she goes home. :-)

Your Podlasie and my Watauga; places which are dear to our hearts. I would love to see your countryside. Is the name "Poland" derived from the word Podlasie?

You have a great weekend, Jola. :-)))

Anonymous said...

I like all those too, Mark, particularly The Shawshank Redemption. It is the only "made for tv" movie that I have ever liked, and better than most theater released movies.

Anonymous said...

Poland (Polska) and Podlasie are quite different words. Podlasie means 'pod lasem'='close to the forest'. It's eastern part of my country, actually, a bit strange for me.

I was born and I was growing in Łodź (Lodz, rather western part of Poland). Before 90’s Łódź was a heart of textile industry in this part of Europe. My grandfather ( my sweet and wise grandfather) worked in one of such factories.

I have lived in Warsaw since 1980 and it is my really beloved city. I would like to take more photos of Warsaw; unfortunately on the weekdays I haven't free time. I'll try to change it. :-)

Blog Archive