Monday, October 26, 2009

A journey through the hills


Watauga Lake at Shook Branch

Saturday was a complete washout for photography, so we invited Kim over to watch the Tennessee Volunteers get beat by the Alabama Crimson Tide on tv. It was much better than sitting in a motel room in a strange town; I know that for a fact from my days as a tramp electrician.

Kim came back to our house at eight o'clock yesterday morning, and we immediately headed for the hills. She wanted to visit Doe River Gorge, but it was a waste of time. I've never been there, but knew about it. Apparently one must do some trekking to get into it which left me out, and she would have been pressed for time if she had tried it. I will find out more on the place and maybe we can go back there if she gets to come back next June for the rhododendrons atop Roan Mt.

We left there and I took a few minutes so she could get a "I've been there" photo of Watauga lake and dam. We then drove over the crooked mountain road to to Dennis Cove. I think the drive across the mountain scared her a bit; she was perturbed at looking out the car window and then straight down the mountainside. We finally got to the Dennis Cove camping and picnic area, and of course it was closed. I've been going in there for nearly thirty years, and that is the first time the gate has been locked. I found another place to park, and she was able to walk a little way on the Appalachian Trail and get some shots of Laurel Branch. We then began our assent of Walnut Mt. and Kim again made sure her seatbelt was snug; she definitely ain't a mountain girl. Due to lack of time, I wasn't able to take her down the mountainside to Frog Level; it is mighty pretty there in autumn. We continued on to the Walnut Mountain Church of Christ and I think it tickled her pretty good. The light was good and the leaves were perfect; I can't wait to see her photos of the old place. She even went inside the building and made some shots; much as I did in '07. We proceeded from there to the Christmas tree farms atop the mountain, and I think she liked them a lot; she made many photos of the rows of future joy. We drove from there into the edge of North Carolina, through the town of Roan Mountain, Tenn. and back to my house. Kim left immediately to return toward home. She had never before spent that much time on mountain roads; something Carolyn and I do for several hours at a time.

We had some disappointments due to weather over the weekend, but all-in-all, it wasn't bad. We enjoyed having Kim with us, and I hope we can keep her at the house next time she comes in; motel bills are expensive. Here is a link to her Flickr and there is another in the side bar; be sure to give her work some views and she likes comments, too.
----
Please read this: http://www.mensjournal.com/you-get-old-2

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Sunday, Ken.
Kim is not my "contact", but it will be nice to see her new photos from Tennessee.:-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
Hope she does not post any shots of me there; I saw her sneaking a few. ;-(

Kim is much better photographer than am I, she has more patience.

Mark said...

Ha, I can see how some poeple do not like driving in the mountains.
I'll have a picture and story to post about that. Kim is a fine photographer.

Mark said...

Great mens journal article. Perfect really.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark. Kim is a very good photographer indeed. These mountain roads can be "exciting" for flatlanders. :-)

Blog Archive