Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"I ain't never done this before. Marriage is a new kind of racket for me."


Roan Mountain, North Carolina


At times, failure is the basis for a greater hope
At other times, it is the cause of greater despair

Flickr is offline ... again. That particular photo sharing service has become slower and slower and very unreliable over the nearly four years I've been a member. It's ok; there is a new photo site in the final stages of being built that does what Flickr claims to do and a whole lot more. I will let you know when it is online.
----
Carolyn cleaned one of her smaller buildings by herself Sunday, and this evening we will sally forth and try to do two more of them. I hope she has enough sense to ease back into the mainstream instead of her usual headlong approach.
----
I stopped by Radio Shack this morning; it is located beside Kroger grocery store. The parking lot was packed with cars, mostly because Tuesday is geezer day at Kroger and we old farts get a five percent discount on all our purchases. I like Kroger store; they are generally clean and well kept inside and outside and they are a union shop. Even with the Tuesday discount, they are no cheaper than Food City is every day, and not as cheap as Wal-Mart. I like Food City, but do not trust the quality of Wal-Mart groceries ... or anything else they sell. K-Mart has announced they will stop selling groceries at the local Super K-Mart, and rebrand it as a Big K store.
----
I am still on limited internet access, and most of what I do will be via this blog.
----

4 comments:

Mark said...

Flickr has been having problems for sure. They have also begun to have a heavy hand in censoring the site. They are eliminating groups and photostreams. Most of the time they just delete what they consider offending and then contact the "offending" party. When they do this there is no way for them to put the pictures back on Flickr if it turns out they are wrong. It is the long arm of Yahoo that is causing this.

Wow, Carolyn is already back at work. Hope it is not too soon.

Have to wonder how K-Mart is still in business. There stores leave a whole bunch to be desired as far as I am concerned. Lost in the past.

Being single I never do real grocery shopping. It cuases me to into shock when I do. I can spend a bunch of money for me. How does a family of four do it week after week. Tough.

Nice work on the picture.

Tammy said...

Lovely photo Ken. Flowers always woo my heart.

Most women I know (with the exception of a few who may have male tendencies I think) tend to approach work as all or none. Balance is difficult for women and it does not surprise me when you say Carolyn may be in that same category. We never seem to be done with our "duties" as it were.

I love checking out the grocery stores in a different town, state, community. Whenever I visit my in-laws in CT I can't wait to hit the store circuit to see what products they have that I don't, compare prices, look at the people, etc. My husband thinks I'm crazy but it gives one a flavor of a different place! I still say WalMart should give out shots of Jack Daniels upon entering the store and I avoid it as much as possible.

Cooking for my family is one of my greatest joys and I'll admit I spend a fortune on good groceries.

Mike calls Radio Shack.. Radio Suck as they never really seem to have what he needs. A good ol' nuts and bolts store is hard to come by. Those little hardware stores are a gold mine to toodle around in, even for me... the wife unit.

I love the fall photos you are putting up. In florida fall is an anomoly. By January the maple tree out back starts to give me some red/yellow leaves.

Happy Wednesday. Tammy

Anonymous said...

The censorship stuff pisses me; crap like that happens whenever Microsoft gets its holier-than-thou foot in the door anywhere. Flickr is a cash cow, so I do not understand why they relegate it to the oldest servers they have.

I suppose the acquisition of Sears is all that is keeping K-Mart alive. Shelves have sometimes been nearly barren at the local store since the bankruptcy.

Thanks, Mark.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

You pretty well echoed my mom about women never being done with their duties.

Grocery shopping is the only kind of shopping I actually like to do ... in a limited way. Wal-Mart has become sort of like a sexually transmitted disease for me; I go there on occasion for people watching, tend to get too much of it, then swear off. Sooner or later I need a mullet or weird clothing fix, so I return and get infected again.

I went to Radio Shack to get some batteries for a flashlight I bought there, and of course they are the only local retailer for them and they are discontinued in the store. Mike is very much correct. I miss our old country grocery and hardware stores; they were small, but had good stuff you cannot find anymore.

I love warm weather, but I suppose i would miss the seasons.

Have a good day. :-)

Blog Archive