Monday, October 05, 2009

Weekend




I finally got to see Tammy (aka "Yasmine") this morning via internet feed; she and instructor Jean Courtrer appeared in the studios of WFOY radio station St Augustine Florida Saturday morning. If you are interested, click the link, wait for the commercial to play, and fast-forward to the 16:30 minute mark of the show where Ms Courtrer tells some history of the Mid-Eastern style dancing and other interesting facts. Tammy's part begins at about the 23 minute mark and is well worth watching; as the show host Mr Jeffs stated, "mesmerizing". Thanks Tammy.
----
The above radio station is a conservative talk station and part of the Fox network. Can't you imagine the old fuddy-duddies tuning in to maybe catch a bit of the Rush Limbaugh Show and all of a sudden seeing Tammy doing a provocative Egyptian belly dance? I bet there was a surge of heart patients flooding the local hospital emergency rooms while the show aired.
----
My joints are swollen and sore, and have been thus for a few days. I am having difficulty doing simple things including typing, so my posts will be short for awhile. Did I again hear applause? Feeling badly or not, Saturday was so pretty that we grabbed the camera and drove to Wilbur and Watauga Lake. This time of year is not the best for nature shooting, though, and I did not get much accomplished.
----
The pictured bird was fishing the Watauga River while we were there. I did not see it catch anything, but it sure tried. It and its partner were probably passing migrants, heading for Florida to feast on fat, peanut fed squirrels.
----



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire its (bird's) flight, so majestic.
Please, take care of your joints. October is transitory month, not easy for us.
In spite of your healthy problems you are in a good mood. Wonderfully!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
I suppose I tried to do too much while Carolyn was ill; now it is catching up with me. I will be good to go in a few days.

I dearly hope you are much better. :-)

Tammy said...

A warm soak in Epsom salt water with a bit of orange rind may help your arthritic fingers and lift your spirits as well Ken, even the rind of a blood orange you love so would work too. If you have a spring of mint toss that in as well.

Although I admire the beauty of those hawks for certain and do bow to the circle of life myself, I hate to think of my little Mille grabbed up by those yellow talons.

We belly dancers have this entire subculture in this country (worldwide) and you may be amazed as to how many of us there are! Many are professional but it is tough to make a buck at it unless you are classically trained, young, and perfectly shaped.

As for my group, mostly middle-aged women some with ample hips, some not getting together to learn, dance, and tap into the deep root of that which is called belly dance. There are photos on the Pyramids of dancers and it is the oldest dance known to man. I could go on but this isn't my blog it is yours! thanks for tuning in.

I know, the FOX station. Ugh. I shuddered to think it. But we slipped in there before anyone could protest. I wouldn't doubt the good ol boys church going wives are pretty pissed.. hee hee

hope your fingers get to feeling better. breathe. Tammy

Anonymous said...

I have a paraffin bath which I use to take the swelling from my hands when they get real sore, but now it is more aggravation than anything. The orange sounds very good, I will put some in the wax.

I have had a few squirrels taken by hawks, but they mostly take birds from around the feeders. Local cats allowed to run loose are my biggest problem. They torture the fuzz balls before they kill them, then they drag them to the bushes and leave them to decay. I've even had cats picked up by animal control, but the owners go get them and in a few days they are back at work.

I didn't realize the dance was that popular; I sometimes watch "Shimmy" on the FIT Network, but had given the art little thought. Glad you turned us on to some of the history.

As far as my blog, anyone can be a guest blogger here as long as they stay within loose Google rules and the law. I would be happy to have your insight on the dance or anything.

Thanks, Tammy.

Mark said...

Ha, it is great that the radio station is a Fox station. Tammy will be getting a visit from Homeland Security this week.

It is good to just get out of the house for a bit. I suspect the leaves will be making the big change in a week or so and that will be picture taking time.

Anonymous said...

Tammy the anti-patriot! Hahaha. The country needs many more free thinkers (and free spirits) like her.

The leaves are beginning to color; we are due a good one.

Blog Archive