Friday, October 02, 2009

Johnson City Sessions




Between 1910 and 1950, it wasn't unusual for record companies to send talent scouts (producers, actually) into our hills in search of local talent whom could possibly make them some money. In the Johnson City Sessions of 1929, Clarence "Tom" Ashley was discovered, and The Coo Coo Bird Song became a favorite of old time mountain music lovers. It is a song that was supposedly brought to the hills by immigrant settlers from the highlands of the British Isles. The photo of Ashley which adorns the above video cover is interesting in that a young Doc Watson was accompanying him on guitar. Although Watson hails from North Carolina, he was in a Johnson City band back in the 1950's. I first saw him perform in person around 1958 at a local auto dealership when the new model-year cars were introduced, and he looked then much like he does in this photo. Being totally blind did not prevent Doc from going on to a great solo career, becoming famous in bluegrass, country, and folk music. Tom Ashley also performed at the same venue, but I lost track of him in the 1960's when I became more interested in rock and roll music and girls.

I doubt that there is another place in the country that is as rich in music tradition as are the Appalachian hills.
----
Ya ever notice the kind of stuff they put on display for impulse buyers at the grocery store checkout. Condoms for people whom only have sex on impulse and Fart-B-Gone for intimate moments of terminal flatulence (usually the same people buy both of these products at the same time). There are toothbrushes displayed, I suppose to be used just before or immediately after having sex; I'll leave it to your imagination. In case the sex isn't satisfying, they sell the ubiquitous tell-all "news papers" for our perusal. Yep, things have changed at the old super market; used to be flashlight batteries, chewing gum, maybe some decks of poker cards, nail clippers, and a simple toy or two for the kiddies awaited us near the cash register. These days, I expect the condoms are the nouveau toys for kiddies; does anyone know if there is an age limit for kids to purchase them?
----

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt that reading (of anything) can help us if the sex is not sutisfying. Well, sex is sex. Sex is ussually satisfying.

I'm smiling while reading your last remarks.

I hope you have a nice Friday, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope I didn't write anything amoral. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've found that to mostly be the case but I cannot say how my partners felt about it as most of them were asleep by the time I was satisfied. :-)

Thanks, Jola. Have a wonderful weekend.

Hope you are feeling better. :-)

Anonymous said...

On Friday my mood was much better. It's so cold in Poland now, fortunately the central heating works a bit in my house.
Your last photos posted on this blog are lovely. I regret I can't be a guest of storytelling festival in Jonesborough. It's fantastic idea and tradition. Human ability (and talent) of telling stories wonders me. Such meetings joins people; it's beautiful.
Have a wonderful weekend, Ken. Pa.:-))

Anonymous said...

It is warming up again in East Tenn.; there was frost in the mountains a couple of nights.

The Story Telling Festival is great, but it has gotten too big for my taste. The stories are still wonderful, but it is now impossible to catch everything.

Stay warm and be well, dear friend. Pa. :-)

Mark said...

I like the video. Doc Watson is great. An American treasure who I suspect most Americans have never heard of.

Maybe they should make condoms with flashligts on the tip. I think that would be great. :)

Nice pumpkin shot.

Anonymous said...

Condoms with flashlights? Now that sets up a whole new train of thought(s). :-)

Blog Archive