Sunday, July 04, 2010

Tribulations of a net junkie

 Leesburg Presbyterian Church
Founded 1818

Dog Days began yesterday!
"Are you upset little friend? Have you been lying awake worrying? Well, don't worry...I'm here. The flood waters will recede, the famine will end, the sun will shine tomorrow, and I will always be here to take care of you." -Charlie Brown to Snoopy
----
Yesterday; a day I will remember for a while. As of Friday night, our plans were to drive to Watts Bar lake and stay the night in a motel. I went to bed at 11:00pm and awoke before 2:30am for one of my old man trips to the bathroom. I never did go back to sleep, eventually arising a 6:00 Saturday morning. Carolyn got up at 6:30 but I felt so out of sorts I told her I didn't think I could make the trip and have any fun at all. We then decided to hit some more back roads in Greene County looking for photo ops. But, the real aggravation was that I could not successfully get on Megashot and my weather page was slow to load also. I sometimes could access Megashot, but it was after a 10 minute or more page load and when I got there, only a small portion of my stuff ever fully loaded. All other sites worked fine so I knew there was no problem on my end. I contacted Cyrus via Facebook and he said the site was fine. We finally got away from home at 10:00am and after stopping for gas and a nutritious Egg McMuffin, we were on our way to Greeneville with Carolyn driving. We worked the east and northeast county roads that we hadn't been on before, finding absolutely nothing. I remembered a long closed service station that I shot a few years back and I got a decent shot of it. We traveled on to Leesburg which is another old and once important community in Washington County. On a road toward Fall Branch, we ran across an old church and even at mid-day light, it looked promising for photos. I got a few of it from the parking lot and and from the cemetery, the latter having graves of people born in the late 1700s. Finally on to Fall Branch to clean the building and then more back roads to Harmony, Sulphur Springs, Bowmantown, Leesburg again, and finally back home, arriving at about 5:00pm. We were both worn out, I was very sleepy, and Megashot was still not working. I logged off Windows and onto Ubuntu Linux which has an easy to use pinger and route tracer. When I pinged Megashot, the round-trip was as fast as it should be, but when I traced the route the information travels from me to Megashot servers, it quit at the fifth relay and the following seven were returning nothing. I logged back on Windows and figured I would be without full net access until Tuesday so I edited a few of the photos from the day. At 7:20, I noticed my little weather icon was back on the browser, so I clicked Megashot and all worked fine and is still working as of 10:15 Sunday morning. It is very disturbing to me when stuff like that happens because Megashot is where I spend a big part of my online time. I am now way behind on commenting there, on blogs, and on Flickr. Strange Saturday even for one as strange as I.
----
I have entered but one photo in the Megashot Nature contest, and it hasn't made it out of the first level. it was my best nature photo. Not much use of me putting any more into competition.
----
Have a good Sunday and a Happy Birthday, USA!
----
Y'all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, it was a bit strange Saturday. Please post your best nature photo on Flickr. I wish your Flickr Friends could see this photography too.
I like a lot your photo of Leeberg Presbyterian Church. White colour of American churches soothes my catholic heart. :-)
xo

Anonymous said...

Link to the photo on Flickr that I posted to the Megashot contest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hogslopper/1750186201/in/set-72157600430908889/

It is in my Autumn Set. I do like the photo, but it is a bit "tongue-in-cheek" for the competition. :-)

I know you like our little white churches, and I put this one up as a teaser for you. This is actually the clearest shot I could get of the front; there are many big trees close by.

Thanks, Jola. :-)

Blog Archive