Monday, July 26, 2010

Itchin' and bitchin'


Sunday was day off from the net but there is never any rest for the righteous. I sat around most of the day yesterday, working some with SilkyPix software. I was waiting for the late day light so I could go back to Greene County and shoot an old barn and a couple of houses that the Olympus camera messed up when making shots. Stll didn't have much luck as there were people around just about everywhere. We got home just before dark and I still have no new pics to play with and I doubt that I am any wiser.
----
I found what was making my back itch so badly; it is not so much the wounds healing but my skin is sensitive to the glue on the bandages. I had my in-home nurse change from store-brand bandages to Band-Aids and the rash is now leaving.

Another thing, the wounds are not healing; they are still seeping a bit of blood and one is showing some redness in surrounding skin. I fear infection. Infection can settle in artificial joints and wreak havoc. If I get infection around any of the prosthesis and it cannot be quickly healed they will have to fuse the affected joints and that is not a very good thing. The reason I get easily infected is the methotrexate shots I take every week for the RA; the medicine all but shuts down my immune system's and ability to fight infection. RA is caused by some unknown virus that is carried in the immune system; one of the best ways to fight it is to turn off the system; methotrexate does just that.

One bit of good news, though; the report came back on the cancers and they are not the kind that readily invades the body.
----
Have a worsh day!
----


6 comments:

Tammy said...

Good news on the CA front. those bandages do create havoc on skin I agree. Do you have tinnitis (ringing in the ears?). I have that something terrible and a doctor told me it can be a symptom of the body fighting its own immune system and could even cause deafness. Fortunately I got a second opinion and was told too that many people have the ringing in the ears, not everybody loses their hearing.
I'll send out a good thought of healing energy tonight for you that you are not carrying an infection. I hope to hear you are feeling better or at least your baseline soon. I love the old barn photos.

Anonymous said...

I have tinnitus about as bad as it can be; there is constant ringing in both ears, and when the RA is flaring up it becomes a scream. If I get thirsty, the noise gets louder; aspirin makes it louder. It sometimes wakes me at night. I have grown accustomed to it, but I sure don't like it. I lost my hearing in my left ear although it wasn't from tinnitus but an accidental explosion I was too close to and too many years of rock 'n' roll music concerts. Even with the deafness, the tinnitus is still there. I hope yours does not become worse.

Thanks, Tammy. I can use some of that healing energy and I will send wellness your way. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ken ... you haven't infection. The wounds are not simply enough dry. You should use a special medicine which can dry them more. Please, ask for such medicine your doctor. If it is possible do not wear T-shirts for some part of day. If you really must use the bandages they should be v. good.

Thanks v. much for the link to "My Father's Tears" by J. Updike. It surprised me so much. As for "The Walk with Elizanne", this story is in my book and I'm reading it soon. I’m glad that my choice was good. :-)
xo

Mark said...

I am already a little crazy, tinnitus would put me over the edge.

RA meds do leave the body open to infections. Tough to fight RA and not get other issues because of the meds.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

I'm leaving the wounds uncovered as much as possible; they should do better now.

Updike was very famous; his death last year got more attention than most writers get in a lifetime. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tinnitus is louder in my deaf ear than my not so deaf ear. Hope you don't get it.

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive