Monday, July 05, 2010

Dog Days are barking

 Hwy 107

This morning, Megashot's membership is 800; not bad for for being public for only five months and all features are not yet in place. The Nature contest is ongoing and my first entry finally made it to level two and was then kicked out because I did not vote; I was never notified to vote. My second entry has made it to level two but I don't much care if it goes any higher. I have a few friends on Megashot whom appreciate my attempts at photography and that is all the reward I could ask for. I still spend a lot of my online time on the site, welcoming new members, commenting on at least one of their photos, and inviting them to post in a community. I also do a lot of commenting from the communities I belong to, plus the commenting and "liking" photos on several Megashot owned Facebook pages where most of the new members come from.

Over on Flickr, I am again culling contacts whom have not posted photos for more than a year, and I will soon begin removing those whom like to get comments but never comment; that will reduce my contacts by at least half. I will do the same on Megashot after everything shakes out there. Close friends in both places are excepted.
----
Yesterday was one of rest; I did absolutely nothing except play with some photos from Saturday. A few kin were in and out, along with one neighbor whom is selling her house across the street and wants Jon to trim some trees; he and Todd are already taking care of the lawn mowing for her.
----
We need rain; badly. Lawns are August brown, rivers and creeks are looking very low, and some municipalities are talking about restricting water usage. I suppose the extremely wet 2009 was just a fluke in a continuing drought. Historically, Dog Days is the driest part of the year.
----
Worsh day once more; hope you have a wet one!
----
Y'all
----


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic all photos; Hwy 107 too. xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
Have a nice vacation.

Mark said...

Megashot will do fine. There are still a fair amount of fixes that need to be done. I need to get back to Cyrus on a couple things I emailed him about last week.

Adding Youtube videos is a pain and needs to be smoother and I want to see my icon when I type anything such as comments or emails.
It is annoying not to be able to see where your icon is.

That being said it is a better experience than Flickr since the site is really your own site.

Anonymous said...

I think Cyrus is working with a shoestring budget and using his coders on the bigger stuff. Mega is still in "beta" so members aren't paying a fee and his biggest income is from Facebook linked hits on the site. He has to pay Facebook for the hits, but in turn gets paid from Facebook sponsors or something. I don't really understand how it works.

I quit messing with the Youtube stuff more than a year ago; you are right ... it is a pain and once you get it going, you come back the next day and it is gone.

I think your icon is an IE problem and Cyrus is coding the site with Google Chrome specs. Chrome is quickly overtaking Firefox and will be the death of IE.

Thanks, Mark.

Anonymous said...

@Jola: The 107 photo is about the impermanence of the gas pumps and closed store versus the permanence of the beautiful, sun-splashed mountain behind it. I had to wait for the store to be in shadow and a clear mountain at the same time. I converted the photo with the Pentax in-camera hdr feature. :-)

Blog Archive