Saturday, July 24, 2010

Busy Saturday

 This is close to my desk and it is Carolyn's way
of ascertaining my dieting willpower;
I placed the joker for this photo

I have been working most of the morning helping some new Megashot members with various things such as making and uploading an avatar, a banner, and how to find their photo's progress in the contest. I then answered a long over due email which ended up being rather enjoyable, and I got my stuff out of the closet, did a setup, and made a photo. I received several comments on some of my photos overnight and I responded to them. I have yet to check for new members and welcome any whom may have joined since last evening, and I am going to Flickr to see if I need to do anything there. Not many people comment on my Flickr postings although I do as much commenting there as I do on Megashot. The Nature contest has a week left, but I probably will not post any more entries until maybe the last day. There will be another contest in August, but I haven't checked to see what the theme will be.
----
Carolyn worked for awhile this morning and it gave me some time for peace and quiet in the house. I love peace and quiet but those times have been few for the past several years. I also love my privacy but I haven't had much of that since JJ moved in eight years ago. Old folk seem to need and prefer a bit more alone time than do youngsters.
----
It is very hot again today with temps close to 100F (37.7C) in another hour from now. It is 95F in the shade on my porch as I write this from inside and air-conditioned house.
----
Yesterday, Carolyn made bread pudding for desert with left over biscuits; mighty fine. Chris and her boyfriend just got settled into their new apartment; this is her fourth new place this year. She moves more often than do my bowels.
----
Well back to the grind I love so well; looking at great photos and commenting on a few. I may suck up my courage and get on Facebook for awhile for more photo commenting; Megashot has several pages there and as much as I abhor Facebook, it is drawing in many new members for the site. I can usually get in a  page or two of "likes" and a few remarks about photos before I get the shakes and have to leave. I am also doing a few critiques on Megashot's Critique Corner, although I am not always comfortable doing so. If I like a photo, it is for some obscure reason to which I cannot put words and the same for ones I dislike. But I try to help; I don't care much for the technical stuff as it is too restrictive, but I do love a well balanced photo. A photo of a turd is a photo of a turd, but a photo of a turd with a fly sneaking up on it is a good, well balanced photo.
----
Hope you are having a good Saturday!
----

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today my house is noisy too. Asia's birthday party!

I'll get back later.
Have a wonderful Sunday.
xo

Anonymous said...

I left young people in our flat for some time and went to bookshop. There were different books in my hands, eventually I purchased the stories by John Updike. One of the stories is nicely titled: "Łzy mojego ojca"; in English, I think: "Tears of my Father" or "My Father's Tears". I’m reading Polish translation.
I hope my Friends that Updike also expresses the spirit of America.

As for the temperatures, it was also heat wave in Poland (35C) and I had black thoughts that eventually my poor heart wouldn't survive it. Now is much colder: 20C. In summer (July, August) average temperature of air is usually 22-25C. In this part of Europe it would be rather hard for us to accept higher temperatures. Our houses are not air-conditioned. Our summer is rather short; first of all we must be prepared for the severe winter. Fortunately we have own rich deposits of coal and we purchase cheap gas from Russia.

My friend … I guess you are busy. Have a nice new week. Pa!

Anonymous said...

Hope the Party went well.
John Updike died just last year and "My Father's Tears" is a very good short story. It appeared in 'New Yorker Magazine':
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/02/27/060227fi_fiction

Updike makes everyday life interesting. If "The Walk with Elizanne" is in your book, it is very good.

It is supposed to cool down some by Tuesday, but not a lot. It is always hot here during Dog Days. Americans are spoiled by air conditioning. :-(

Thanks, Jola. :-)

Mark said...

John Steinbeck is also great.

The heat sucks.

Anonymous said...

Asheville's Thomas Wolfe was pretty good too along with Knoxville's James Agee.

THEY are saying 2007 was hotter than this year, but I doubt it.

Blog Archive