Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mother Earth

Bumble butt on chicory

I drove Carolyn to the markets on 107 yesterday and I also was looking for some chicory blossoms located along a back road that would be easy to shoot without much walking. I love the delicate blue hue of the petals, but I have also seen white ones and purple ones. I finally found some back along 107 at church camp road. The sun was in-and-out after some heavy rain early. I got a few decent photos of pretty chicory blooms and attending bugs; I could have stayed a lot longer but Carolyn was beginning to cook sitting in the Escape as the sun finally blasted away in full glory. I've never seen the like of chicory growing along the highways as we have this year.
----
The big produce farms along the Nolichucky river are suffering from the heat and lack of rain, even with the irrigation pumps running most of the time. I saw one big potato field that had been plowed under because the plants turned brown before the spuds could get bigger than marbles. Silage corn is paltry and it is being cut early and the ground plowed. The tomato fields are not too bad yet, but the plants are slow growing. The local produce that is available is costing more each time we go to the markets, but we have bought some of the best corn we ever had,
----
Tammy mentioned submitting some photos to Mother Earth News magazine, and I dug up my old password and  put a photo similar to the one above on the site. I am also going to renew my subscription to the print edition; maybe one of my brilliant shots will be published in the widely read and highly acclaimed periodical.
----

Have a ... damn, it's Friday already! .. good weekend!
----

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Mother Earth Magazine has a section in it with photos from readers... mostly nature-related subjects of course. I don't know what one would win should they pick yours but any one of your bumblebutt or bird photos would be chosen. I often think of you when I get my new mag and turn to that page! some of my bumblebutts are so laden down w/ pollen they have difficulties flying! The bee balm is especially popular this year, aka Bergamot. Dance night for me thankfully.

Anonymous said...

I will look at Mother Earth; it has been awhile since I read it. The photo will work better if it is cropped a lot more; I did a basic crop on it and uploaded it.

These chicory flowers; herbs; weeds; are super plentiful this year. They are native to Europe but are now widespread in US. During rationing days of WW2, people ground the dried roots and used it to supplement or in many cases, replace coffee. I've tried it and it DOES NOT replace coffee. The tender leaves can be used in salad, but I've never tried them. Bee balm should be blooming in the hills soon and I will see what I can find on them.

Have a great shimmy, Tammy. :-)

Mark said...

Chicory as coffee is a cruel joke.

And yes the pictures would fit nicley in Mother Earth.

Anonymous said...

Thanks mark
I made an even closer crop and will put it on Megashot tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Lovely macro. Chicory flower. Nice!
I see Tennessee with your eyes. Beautiful land, even if the weather conditions are so hard for the farmers as this year.
xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
I live in a nice green world, and I feel very fortunate. :-)

Blog Archive