Thursday, July 01, 2010

Tell me no lies ...


The big Megashot flower contest is over, the winners announced, and I am more than glad it has passed. The Nature contest has begun, but from seeing the results of the flower competition, I don't think I have any photos that will remotely qualify as being artfully tasteful enough. I may enter a few of my dregs over the contest period just to see what is being presented, but everyday photos like mine have no place in real competition.
----
I forgot to include the link to the admission prices for the Jonesborough story telling event, but it is now in place. If you click it, have your local heart trauma center on the line when you read the ticket prices. One thing for sure, I am in the wrong business as a story writer; telling my tales looks to be much more profitable. The event used to be free, even the ghost stories* and I would think a $50 per person for the weekend should be plenty enough to pay and it should include all tents and events. A family of four out-of-towners could easily spend $1000+ for tickets, lodging, food, and a few knock-off souvenirs; it ain't worth it and will eventually be the downfall of the festival. An example: about 1970, Jonesborough began having an Independence Day festival called Jonesborough Days, and it quickly became one of the top five draws in the entire South for such events. It began as a four day party with a small carnival, name-draw musicians, street vendors and all the things necessary to showcase the town. Over the years, the carnival was dropped, the music became local bands only, and street vendors were forced to pay more for their spaces than a lot of them could make. The event twiddled down to one day. Now, it has had a renaissance and is back to two days is doing pretty well; it takes place this weekend and I won't be going.
----
Have a sublime Thursday!
----
Y'all!
----
*The ghost stories were told at night in a cemetery; now the cadavers demand a fee!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it would be nice to see such Independence Day festival in Jonesborough ( and make the photos). I think American people like meetings and holidays which bring them together (integrate). It's beautiful.

The video about National Storytelling Festival is wonderful. Yes, the ticket prices are rather high.:-(

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
I used to go to the festivals and make photos, and it was fun when I was younger, but now, I just read about it in the newspapers. :-)

Tammy said...

I agree about the price for admission... too high. I can't imagine the locals plunking down that kind of money and the out of towners may do it once but certainly not much else on a vacation weekend.
My family is coming over for a BBQ on Sat. Finally shamed my brothers into crawling out of the woods to come visit their big sis. A day with all my favorite people is a good thing. Hope everybody has a nice safe holiday.

Tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

Well I am glad the flower power contest is done. I couldn't take looking at streams of flowers anymore. As for nature shot I bet there will be some good ones.

You and i should be able to come up with some great mountain shots.
Hell I'll look for some good ones at the beach. Are bikini's part of nature?

Anonymous said...

What ya gonna have to eat at the family reunion, Tammy? I know how it is for your brothers staying away from the city life. Have a good weekend and it ain't goin' to rain.

Anonymous said...

The flowers were mostly pretty and the winners are what they are; some very good and some not so good.

God created man, then He created woman which caused the man to have a perpetual erection, so God created the bikini to ease the man's stone ache. Yes, bikinis are a part of nature. :-)

Blog Archive