Monday, November 16, 2009

Wilbur


Moment

Memory

Higher power

Tweetsie

Second lesson in photography:
  • Shoot it. If it attracts your eye or curiosity in any way, try to get at least one decent shot; it may end up being one of your best
----
I must have some kind of flu bug; since Friday morning I've had something keeping me just a bit uncomfortably nauseous, and when I eat, it becomes worse. Doesn't seem as bad since yesterday afternoon, so I may just pull through. The Tennessee Vol's being whipped in football by Mississippi didn't help, but the Lady Vols thumped a highly ranked team from Baylor University in basketball yesterday evening; one of the very few times they have beaten a team ranked higher than themselves since 2007-2008 season. They are still not near the same level as UConn or Stanford.
----
Even though I wasn't my chipper self yesterday, I grabbed my camera and my Carolyn (priorities in that order) and headed for my favorite place in the nearby hills. We returned to Wilbur and the upper Watauga River valley. Being there makes the remainder of the world seem superfluous. I made a few photos in Elizabethton as we passed through, and at Wilbur, we mostly sat on our butts and reveled in warm sun and magnificent scenery. Few people use the area in winter, so we were happily alone except for a flock of passing Harley riders. The little bufflehead ducks have returned for winter, and are fun to watch as they argue amongst themselves and dive for dinner. I was hoping to catch sight of a bald eagle, but none graced the sky while we were there.
----
By the time all the giveaways are done on the healthcare bill, the legislation will be quite useless to average Americans.
----
I hope y'all had a wonderful weekend and that Blue Monday isn't so bad for you.
----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Ken; I think about your second lesson in photography.

Wilbur. It's sounds nicely. I like short English words. Photo of church (its details) tells me a lot about the community of this town, I think.

Please, take good care of yourself, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

Most small towns in the southern US are much like this. Sunday worship is central to the sense of community.

I owe you an email. Soon. :-)

Tammy said...

Wilbur, sounds like a sweet little piggie to me.
nice that you and your lover spent time soaking up the fall sun. sitting in a sun spot during the winter months makes me feel like a cat.
lovely photos. Gotta a gig tonight in St. Aug... a friend's BDAY party. always better dancing.

happy Mon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

Days like that will soon be memories as the cold sets in. :-(

Dance, like any art, is best when being created. :-)

Mark said...

Well you know my first rule. ABC.
Always Bring Camera.

Your second rule is quite appropriate.

Small town America is where it is at.

As for healthcare I'm am afraid you are right. It is working out to be on of those "Be careful what you asked for" situations.

As you say "Wake up America".

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark.
My photography lessons are mostly my philosophy; nothing concrete.

I think the healthcare bill is making me sick. Jerks in DC.

Blog Archive