Sunday, November 22, 2009

Weekend blahs


Produce stand, Buffalo Valley

Yesterday Carolyn wanted to hang out at home and clean the house, but the weather was so beautiful I told her I was heading for the hills. She finally acquiesced to my way of thinking and off we went in a direction north of Asheville, North Carolina. We hadn't been over the back of Unaka Mt. in nearly 20 years, so we wound our way along the crooked roads and eventually through Loafer's Glory and on into Bakersville, NC. Both villages sit between the Black Mountains of NC and Roan Mountain on the Tennessee state line; all are beautiful to a hillbilly like myself. I took the camera, but I had no idea of using it; I just wanted out one last time before real winter sets in. I did make something like 45 shots, but not a one do I like in the least. The bright mid-day light wasn't good for shooting, and my heart just never got into the spirit. I found plenty of things worthy of photographing if the light had been a lot better and I could have used my imagination. Carvers Gap near the top of the Roan was beautiful, but for some reason the Feds had the road to the rhododendron garden area closed; there were a lot of disgruntled people whom had driven many miles to picnic and relax in the warm afternoon sun atop the world. On the way down the Tennessee side of the mountain, I saw a lot of smoke off in the distance; it was a forest fire between the town of Roan Mountain and Whitehead Hill.

Today is gray and much cooler, and we will soon journey to Elizabethton to clean the building. I probably will not bother to take the camera; Carolyn's cell phone has one if I have to shoot something.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had great time in the mountains.

It surprised me that RA appeared in your life so early; in 1968 (as you wrote) you were so young man...

I had kidney stones too. It's terrible pain. It's much better to have a baby.

Have a wonderful new week, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Mountains are therapy.

I actually had RA in my mid-teens, but didn't realize what was going on.

I'll take your word on the birthing. :-)

You have a good week yourself. :-)

Mark said...

Sounds like a nice roadtrip. Nice to get out and re-visit areas you have not seen in years.

Anonymous said...

Yes, and any excuse to be on the Roan is good.

Blog Archive