Monday, November 30, 2009

Squashing Beetles

The following article is based partly on well known facts and partly on my opinions.

Thar's Rabbits in them thar hills!

As American automakers pare down their NASCAR sponsorships and overall involvement in the "stock car" sport, the sanctioning body is casting its net in European waters hoping to catch some much needed cash and involvement in a declining business. They brought Japanese car maker Toyota on board the elite circuit just a few years ago, but it too is showing waning interest due to poor worldwide sales of cars. Other sponsors are also cutting back, and money to keep NASCAR owners living the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed is becoming scarce. I don't feel sorry for the France family though; they have done as much to hurt the sport as has any economic downturn; in fact, if company shares were publicly traded on the stock market, the entire management would likely have been fired long ago. Their arbitrary rules changes over the years (sometimes while a race is in progress) have always bothered me, especially when they kept my favorite driver and car brand from winning a championship two different times. In my opinion, Mark Martin was denied twice in the 90's because he drove a Ford for Jack Rousch Racing. Instead, NASCAR's favorite son and best moneymaking draw won because the rules were changed or enforced to suit "The Intimidator" Dale Earnhardt and his black Chevrolet. It seems Chevy has always put the most money into the France family coffers, and they have shown appreciation in kind. Then came the Toyota thing which I didn't like but I could live with it. American sport for American cars. Where were the foreign companies when NASCAR was struggling to find sponsors for cars and races? They were courting Indy car racing, an elitist sport if ever there was one. Next came "the car of tomorrow", an homogenized piece of work designed to be much safer and to level the playing field among the car brands. Its safety has yet to be definitively proven and it effectively took the car makers out of the sport; all the cars are basically alike except for engines and some superficial decals. I like the rivalry between the different brand cars, but NASCAR favored the personalities of the drivers. I no longer watch NASCAR races, and a lot of other people have fallen by the wayside for the same reason; we like cars first; not drivers. I happen to be Ford inclined, although at times I have been a fan of Dodges and Chevrolets. It will not surprise or disappoint me if Volkswagen becomes the next foreign marque in the big leagues. I don't know which American car brand will be the last standing on the big ovals, but I hope it makes roadkill of a Rabbit before it rides off into the sunset. Have some Fahrvergnügen everyone!

2 comments:

Mark said...

As someone who has been a big NASCAR fan for many many years I can't disagree with most of what you said and you would have a whole bunch of others right with you.

I remember going to the Gatorade Twin 125's in 1980 and there were very few fans at those races. With in a few years those same races were drawing well over 100,000 fans.

NASCAR owes its growth to the overall growth of ESPN. They quickly forgot this when they negotiated their first tv contract when there ESPN contract ended. That was a big signal for many race fans.

It has become way to homogenized for the true race car fan. Most of like a little beating and banging the fenders of people who are in your way. No matter what one thinks of Dale Earnhardt, and I was not his biggest fan, he was not afraid to put that car where he wanted. Since the money has gotten so big most of the drivers bitch, cry and complain when anything like this happens. I guess they forgot about small track racing. That is why the rebel side of me like Kurt Busch. He wants to win the dam race. He is not just out there for points.

I bet if VW comes in that in year two or three of them racing they will become dominate as NASCAR makes the rules work for them.

In my opinion I think it would be a great thing if NASCAR has some money troubles. I would hope that it forces them to get closer to their roots. It will also force the track owners to lower the ticket costs. They are insane.

Here is an example and i will let you go. I had tickets to the Gatorade Twin 125's for years.
Here is the cost.

1994-$50.00
1995-$50.00
1996-$55.00
1997-$55.00
1998-$60.00
1999-$60.00
2001-$75.00
2002-$75.00
2003-$75.00
2004-$85.00
2005-$85.00
2006-$90.00

In 1994 it cost $90.00 for the Daytona 500. Those same seats today are $185.00 dollars. No wonder the average fan has lost interest.

Anonymous said...

ESPN and the Night Race at Bristol did more for NASCAR than anything ever did except for the fist fight between Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison near the end of a CBS race at Daytona. I agree with you on D. Earnhardt, although I think the blocking he was doing at Daytona got him killed.

My first race was the Southern 500 in Darlington in 1963; hottest place this side of hell. I think the tickets were around $5, but I know it wasn't much.

Blog Archive