Saturday, November 07, 2009

Kickin' the can


Dr. Kinsey, I presume?

Many years ago when I realized I was a piece of static cling on the clothesline of absurdity, I decided to make a few changes, at least philosophically. I placed all my fears, self doubts, and self-conceived troubles in a a tin can and began kicking it along life's road in front of me. Of course this is just a metaphor, but it works; at least in my case. When something new comes along and I have trouble coping with it, I grab the can and using a bit of magic I once learned from the back page of a comic book, I stuff the problem inside with the others. The first trouble I put into the can was my nicotine habit. It took about six months of denying the demon the light of day, but it is gone since March 27, 1983. I'm sure the can must be getting crowded by now because a lot of insecurities, panics, and angst have been crammed inside and more seem to pop up each day, but I keep pushing and pushing until the hateful things are interred with the older crises I've placed there. Then back in front of me it goes as I kick on down the road until something else needs attention. Some days I'll just mosey and toe the can along, but on others I feel that a bunch of hard kicks with steel-toed shoes are needed to make the phobias know I am in charge. One thing I must not do; I mustn't allow the can to get behind me. As sure as I let my guard down, the evils pop out and jump on my back like vengeance-inspired devils, and it is really tough getting them all once more into the can; it is a task I've performed several times. Over the years, the can has become a security blanket to the point I am able to muster some reasonable amount of self assurance. I think my life will be ok as long as I have a bit of mental discipline ... and a tin can.

If you are one of the fortunate people whom do not need a security blanket, I dearly envy you; but then, I find there is room in the can for all my envies, too.
----
We are having some super-wonderful weather for a change; mild-to-warm days and chilly-to-frosty nights.
----

4 comments:

Mark said...

Well have to get my tin can. I could have used one many years ago.

I think my tin can is behind the lens of my camera.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing solution (idea), but really v. interesting.
I smile. :-)

Anonymous said...

We all need something to lean on at times; mine is making bad metaphors. Thanks, Mark.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
At times I feel I am inside someone else's kicking can. :-)

Blog Archive