Monday, November 30, 2009

Busy Monday




The morning has been spent ... literally. Since 8:30 I've been trying to get everything straightened out with all the medical bills plus our regular stuff. City property taxes and business taxes are due by the end of December, along with commercial tags for the two vans. I have been saving for all this for a year, but we had to use most of it when Carolyn wasn't working. It has been exactly a year since Carolyn applied for Social Security benefits but other than the $250 tax reduction check, she hasn't received a penny. They are looking into it.
----
One of my Flickr contacts posted a test photo of a bird, saying her 400mm lens seemed to be slightly soft in focus too close to the center. I googled and found a standard test chart which can be downloaded in .pdf, printed and used to check your own lenses. I can guarantee that if you do your own testing, it will be much cheaper than having it done in a lab. I had one tested back in the early 80's but it was under warranty and didn't cost me. If I had paid it, it would have been $100 plus two-way shipping.
----
I am going to try to get into Jonesborough one night soon and make some pics of the Christmas decorations. I am not very good at night photography, so it should be an adventure. Tomorrow night may be a good time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like when you are busy since 8.30. :-)

I'll come back here to translate some names of the meals (food) which I do not understand. O, I heard a lot about American pumpkin pie. I know what it means, unfortunately, I haven't tasted it yet. We eat (in Poland) the pieces of pickled pumpkin.

Have a good day, my friend.:-)

Anonymous said...

I usually get up before then, but I was dreading the tasks and lay around as long as i could. :-) Pumpkin pie is pretty easy to make, and I also like pumpkin cake and cookies.

You have a good night, Jola. :-)

Tammy said...

I wonder if in Poland they eat deviled eggs? or mac & cheese. Maybe we could get Jola to share her favorite foods with us so we could wonder about them! I wonder if she ever ate fried green tomatoes? Boiled peanuts, yum! It would be fun to share a new food with a friend from a different country and vice versa.

End of the year tax preparation is not fun. It seems to be the one time of year Mike and I lose patience with each other.

good week to all

Anonymous said...

Maybe Jola will read this tomorrow and let us know. Boiled peanuts are one the South's great inventions, as are fried green tomatoes and batter-fried okra.

We have to pay estimated taxes to the Feds, and the year has been so screwed up with the tax cut, Carolyn losing work, and then missing work I just plain did not pay them in 3rd quarter. I suppose my butt will be in a sling when April rolls around. Gitmo for me!

Mark said...

No boiled peanut are not a great invention. However boiled peanut stands do make great photo subjects. As for taxes here is a joke. My property tax for the quarter acre in Bluefield, WV is $16.80 a year. No wonder the place is dying a slow death. It is actually a joke.

Good luck with your night shots. I really and truly suck at that.

Mark said...

Invite me to your writing blog. My email is yankepez@tampabay.rr.com.
Yes yankee with one e. Plus you now have my email for whenever you need it.

Anonymous said...

Allergic to peanuts?

The taxes on my 80' x 100' lot and house are more than $1,200 per year. If it were on the market today, it might fetch $110,000, squirrels included. Unless you are wealthy or very well paid, home-ownership is either not feasible or not worth it.

I sent the invite. I sent one before to your Yahoo mail, but it isn't reliable at times. The writing blog is a mess; I am moving things around.

Tammy said...

Mark is a boiled peanut snob from Connecticut. The only reason I didn't get a huge bag from the flea market is because I knew he wouldn't like me eating them in the back seat of his truck and chucking the shells out the window, which is the customary way to eat them. I love him even if he is a Yankee.
Sometimes I can cajole Mike to eat them although he dissects them and questions the point endlessly (almost not worth it).

Anonymous said...

Mark should know if you live in the south and drive a pickup, you throw the shells on the floorboard with the beer cans and used spark plugs. Sounds like you were being polite.

A few years ago when our gas range went completely north, I taught myself how to make boiled peanuts in the microwave. The squirrels and I loved them.

Thanks, Tammy.

Mark said...

You are killing me. I love peanuts but the smell of boiled peanuts is not a smell I enjoy. Tammy knows she can eat them in my truck. I will not be eating any soggy nuts. :)

Anonymous said...

I think Tammy likes to mess with your mind just a bit. Yes, the peanuts do smell like a wet dog when they are boiling.

Blog Archive