Saturday, November 21, 2009

Stoned


Coon hunter and friends scouting for deer sign

Around 1965 and after my first child was born, I came to the confusion that I would probably never be a writer, so I stopped taking notes of my life events; marriage can cause hopelessness at times, particularly when you are young. I began my electrician apprenticeship in July that year (I still remember a lot) and figured I would spend my life making a better than average living for my family after I finished my four years of schooling and on-the-job training. All went pretty good until 1968 when I found that I had rheumatoid arthritis, then things became not so rosy. The doc put me on steroids, a kind which caused me to have kidney stones and that was no fun either. From December 1971 until mid-1977, I passed five (at least) of the little critters; and thank goodness they were relatively small. The first one came on Sunday just before Christmas while I was preparing to leave for my job in Parkersburg, West Virginia. It was the old case of being afraid I was going to die and at the same time being afraid I wouldn't. The little bastard caused me four days in the hospital, but at the time, no one knew the steroid was causing the problem so I remained on them for several more years. They say passing a stone feels much like having a baby, but if that be true, I don't see how there could be so many people in this world. If I were a woman, I would cut off my old man's wonker before I had a chance to get pregnant the second time. My apologies to my wife and to anyone else's wife whom I may have impregnated in my dreams over the years.
----
Speaking of my wife, Carolyn's visit to the doc wasn't too good. Her blood pressure was way low, so she is now off hypertension meds; at least temporarily. We have to buy a cuff and and keep tabs of it at home. I am still not allowed to "know her" in the biblical sense and I think that may be what is wrong with my eyes this time instead of allergies; I believe it is internal pressure. Woe unto her in four more weeks when I am free to do my "thing". She'll think Santa really has come.
----
Enough bull patties for one Saturday.
----
The Smoking Gun's
Mug Shots of the Week!
----

2 comments:

Mark said...

I have had kidney stones a couple times. Emergency rooms visits. No overnight stays. If I passed them they did not hurt at that point.
I have heard the same thing about having a baby and I have to agree with you. That was the worst pain I have ever had to endure.

Hope you get to play Santa.

Anonymous said...

Only this first time only did I have to stay in hospital, the darn stone was barely moving. Two of mine I felt when they passed, and one was quite bloody.

HoHoHo. :-)

Blog Archive