Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Detroit Hillbillies


Pilgrims in Detroit—1950*

After struggling through first grade, my six-year-old (same as Calvin) wisdom told me I should try living the debonair life of a big city boy. At the time—1951—Johnson City was the largest town I was familiar with, and I am guessing it had a population of around 25,000. I had been to Detroit, Michigan where my dad worked in the Hudson automobile factory, riding there with my parents in either in 1949 or 1950. We stayed a the week at the rooming house where my dad lived, and he brought us back home in a 1935 Plymouth sedan on the weekend. After school let out in '51, my mom decided to move to Detroit and live full time. She quit her job in a Johnson City textile mill and again we walked the long mile to Jonesborough, she carrying a cardboard suitcase in one hand and half dragging me with the other. The Greyhound bus made a stop at the cab stand, where we boarded for the first leg of the journey; we were heading south to Knoxville. Once there, we had to wait for the northbound bus from Atlanta to come by and carry us to Cincinnati, Ohio where we again changed buses and finally arrived in Detroit in mid-morning the day after we left home. With the layovers and a stop to fix a flat tire on the bus near Lexington, Kentucky, the trip had taken about 21 hours. My mom had rented me a pillow and I used her huge hoop skirt for cover; we were both pooped when my dad picked us up at the bus depot after work.

For the occasion of his family moving to the big city to live with him, my dad had given up his old digs and rented us a small apartment on a quiet street not too far from downtown. Our dwelling was owned by an old lady whose husband had retired and then died not long afterward. She had a one beroom apartment built in the basement, and we were ready to settle into the life of big city urbanites. The apartment rent was very cheap, and there was a reason for that. The old lady liked birds. She liked lots of birds. She liked lots of differnet kinds of birds. We shared the basement with all those birds. Part of the agreement for renting the place was that we had to care for the birds; hundreds of birds; hundreds of stinky, noisy birds. Birds that made me sneeze. The lady kept parakeets, lorikeets, canaries, white doves, and some colorful finches of some sort. She had a deal with a local newspaper to buy a bunch of their unsold newsprint each day, and each day, the cages had to be cleaned and new newspaper put down. With all the cleaning, there was still the stench of fecal ammonia perpetually lingering in the air. The screaming, feathered flying rats had to be fed and watered each day, and I was ready to abandon the bright city lights and crawl back to the hills after my first 24 hours of surviving Detroit. I suspect the birds were as unhappy about their lot in life as was I. Fortunately there was wall between us and the foul fowl, so most times things were tolerable. The old woman also kept some larger birds upstairs; a couple of talking crows, some radio-head parrots or macaws, cockatoos and cockatiels, and probably some others I have mercifully forgotten about. Thankfully, we didn't have to care for these gems; her housekeeper was charged with their welfare.

Why? She liked birds!

This all was bad enough, but to add to my anxiety, my mom sent me to a small mom-&-pop store just down the street to buy a loaf of bread. The storekeeper laughed at me when I told him what I wanted. He said he had never heard of what I was looking for in a store like his; he said I should to go on down the street and turn left and go another few blocks and get what I wanted from a mom-&-pop bakery. Being a shy country kid, his laughing at me embarrassed me and devastated my bit of self confidence. Oh yes, he was laughing at me; as I left the place holding back tears, I heard him tell someone whom I supposed was his wife that I was an ignorant hillbilly kid. His sarcastic words have remained ingrained in my soul to this day. He was correct of course, but correctness sometimes stings. I loitered my way back toward the apartment, but I must have dawdled suspiciously; a cop walking up the other side of the street came across and asked me why I wasn't in school. I explained as best as a scared hillbilly boy could that school was out for summer, but he made me show him where we lived and he asked my mom if I was telling the truth. He said that schools would not go on summer vacation there for about another week. That was strike two against sophisticated city living.

Strike three came when my mom tried to light the gas stove, a contrivance she had no flying time in. She damn near blew up the apartment and us with it. Along with singed hair, we endured a cold supper that night.

Strike four and the final one came when two men came knocking at the door, supposedly looking for a man who lived there and owed them some money. My mom grabbed the nearest weapon—a straw broom—for self defense and talked to the guys through the screen door. She explained it wasn't any of us they were seeking, and that my dad was expected home at any minute. Actually, it would be several hours before he was due to arrive home from work. They left just before my mom could go spastic on them; she was very scared as we had no phone and there was no one else around to help. In my mind's eye, I can still see my mom defending the door with the broom poised ready to strike and protect her child and herself. Bless her heart.

So went the week; on Friday as soon as my dad came in from work, we threw our bit of stuff in the car, told the birds goodbye, and headed back to the hills of home.

That is my story and I am sticking by it. How does he remember those events so well after nearly 60 years, you ask? Well, a couple of times I have stated in this blog that I have a pretty good memory, but it ain't that good. When I was in high school, I concluded that I was someday going to be a rich and famous and very rich author of worldwide renown; loved by most and respected by all. I realized that my success would lead to a demand for my memoirs from my many groupies and fans, so I began taking notes of things which happened to me during my formative years; the things that would eventually lead to my many—but humble—successes. My mom filled in some of the blanks from what she remembered of my youth, as did other members of the family and some friends and neighbors, too. So, I have a written record of much of my life, but it isn't completely accurate because I still depend somewhat on my slowly failing memory of the recollections of others whom have long since passed. The above story is basically true.
----
*In the above photo, my mom seems to have an extra leg. Actually it was one of the neighboring kids whom was playing hooky from school hiding from the camera's evidence.
----


14 comments:

Tammy said...

Your story made my day Ken and thank you for sharing. I love the photo. You mom must have been (is?) quite the tigress defending her cub with a broom. I can picture that scene in my mind, quite humorous.

Agreed that the birds would have been happier in their natural element. Unfortunately, humans think they want a tropical bird until they realize how much work and attention these amazingly smart creatures are. My birds have been preowned (by horrible owners). They are a full-time job not only for feeding/cleaning but to keep them entertained. If they are not stimulated they can go crazy and the least of all will scream constantly (as you experienced). Once the full realization sets in that you just plopped down a wad of cash for a 2-year-old with feathers that can live up to 60 years, the bird usually ends up in the garage. Enter Tammy. I am that crazy bird lady and the only thing keeping me from going over the edge is the fact that my husband will divorce me if I bring one more bird into this house. I don't think anyone should have them, including the best of owners. Birds belong in the trees not in a cage. No matter how hard I work to make them happy, I can never give that back to them.

So happy you shared. happy Wednesday. PEEP!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

I think the old lady in Detroit was a part of the problem; she was just plainly obsessive. Sadly, she died the next winter, and I have no idea what happened to her many friends; you may be fostering one of their kids. The natural world is fraught with dangers for wild animals, but they each get to make their own choices. Thanks Tammy for caring and providing time and resources to take care of the birds.

Have a wonderful day.

PS: My mom died in early 2002. :-(

Anonymous said...

Ken
You need to put your memoirs in a book and get it published. Then you could travel around like Sarah Palin and make lots of money.
Alice

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice.

Thanks for the encouragement, but I don't think my life events are very interesting.

I can tell some whoppers at times, but Palin is such an obvious liar. Yes, I could lie like her for a gob of money. ;-)

How about you? You've had a life that people would definitely love to know about. Love, tragedy, faith, travel; all the stuff that would make wonderful drama for a book or an inspirational made-for-tv movie. Whom would play your role? John Goodman would make a perfect Fred, but he is getting a bit old.

Start pounding that keyboard and you will be surprised at the things you want to write about. I want a signed copy of your auto-biography. I'm serious!

Ken

Anonymous said...

I've just read it. Beautiful, Ken. Oh, how much SHE was important in your life, your MOM. And you - as a little boy, moves me too. This storekeeper was really cruel.

Thanks for sharing it. Yes, put it and other your memories in a book. True stories are the best.

xo...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jola.

I was young and got over the storekeepers cruel remark, but I didn't forget it.

My life has actually been very dull; either that or I don't get excited easily.

Pa, my friend. :-)

Mark said...

that is a great story Ken. One never thinks their life story is interesting. It is the rest of us who do.

You could even put some of it in a book and put it in the local historical society.

As for birds I am the one to blame for Tammy and Mike having them in the first place.


For now I'll just say I found them the perfect gift to bring home from a vacation in Key West.

Short version. See cockatiel being chased by two birds. He hides under car. I go to car and make bird sounds. He comes to me. Put him on basket of bike and bring him to motel. Next day have bird on my bike while riding around parking lot. Bird flys away. Tammy and Mike not happy with Mark. We go for drinks, this being Key West you are to drink alot. Mike and Tammy leave bar early. When I get back to motel I get a call to come to their room. They are there with the damm bird. When they were going back to the motel they saw the bird on the roof of the motel next door. Mike got on their roof and rescued the bird.

Mike has not had a bird free week since. That was a number of years ago now. I think he has forgiven me.

Write your book.

Anonymous said...

Now that is a good story. I'm glad the three of you are caring and kind to the animals. Mike may have forgiven you, but paybacks are hell ... I'm sure he hasn't forgotten and the saga will continue.

Thanks, Mark.

Tammy said...

I forgot about the beginning of my bird story. See how important sharing story time is? It was Mark's fault after all. I am vindicated!

Anonymous said...

Mark took the onus off you, but I hope Mike pays him back; after all, what are friends for? ;-)

Mark said...

I am sure Mike has thought of ways to pay me back.

Anonymous said...

Grievous sins cannot go unpunished. :-)

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you know that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, anon.

Nothing is safe on the net.

heartman63 on twitter. :-)

Blog Archive