Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Slow day

----

Magenta filter @ 80% red/20% blue for sky
and 50% red filter for trees.


Red filter @ 100%


Green filter @ 100%


Blue filter @ 100%


Neutral @ 0%


Original

Third lesson in photography:
  • Many times I have been asked about my grayscale photos, especially the ones I made on film many years ago; people want to know how I "see" in black and white. The only answer I have for that is to set the digital camera to shoot in b/w only, and do that many, many times for several years; sooner or later you will be able to at least recognize the subtle differences of "gray" shades of the primary colors. Or, do as I do and play with software filters.
These days, we have the advantage of either purchasing expensive colored glass filters to use on-camera, or using inexpensive software filters. The test shot at bottom has hues of the three primary colors which all others depend on: red, green, and blue. The b/w conversions are pretty well self explanatory. I settled on the top photo as "best", but it could use more tweaking. On that particular conversion, I first "selected" the sky using the Paintshop Pro "lasso" tool feathered at 55 pixels. I used a magenta filter to get the levels of cloud-to-sky contrast and detail that I wanted. I then deselected the sky and used a 50% red conversion for the remainder of the photo. Having the ability to select different areas and play with them as one pleases is the key, and most free software does not allow for that, although the Gimp does so. I hope all this is very confusing. For one thing, I am no teacher, and for another, if you become confused but interested in b/w photos, you just may seek help in learning from a real instructor, in person or virtual.

As to why anyone would want to convert a colorful photo to b/w, I do not have a clue except in my own eyes.
  • In color photos, I see a reflection of the scene or subject; with b/w, I see the soul of the scene or subject, and sometimes the soul of the photographer can be felt lurking therein.
----
Gotta go and work some this evening, although I feel poorly. RA related skin lesions and nausea are plaguing me a mite. This too shall pass. I wanted to watch the Leonids last evening, but wasn't up to it. Twice I have been fortunate to see this sky event when at its peak, and there were so many flashes across the heavens I was about ready to grab an umbrella. Alas, it makes its best show about every 32 years or so, the last being in 1998. I intend to be watching again around the year 2030 ... if we make it past 2012. Snicker-snicker.
----
Have a most wonderful Tuesday!
----
For Maggie: Not only am I 6'5" tall, but I weighed 11 pounds (5kg?) when I was born. Mom didn't have anymore after me ...

8 comments:

Tammy said...

hope you get to feeling better.
I am no photo taker like the rest of you but I'm paying attention. Black/white photos make me feel like the subject is timeless, haunted, or lost somehow and the subject should be strong enough for me to pay attention regardless.

the squirrels are backing off now that I have withheld food. I feel badly about that but they seem pretty plump anyhow.

maybe someday you can share your Lory/parakeet story.
feel better friend.
At your feet..

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

Another thing is we didn't have color tv in our house until 1969, so I learned to appreciate b/w on 10" picture tubes.


I wouldn't fret too much about feeding less; they won't forget you or that you are easy pickings for a meal. Our squirrels will start having babies late next month, and the 1st birthing season here lasts until March. Mamas may need some extra food when they start making milk.

I will try to remember as much of the story as I can; it happened in 1951.

Hope your birthday gig went well last evening.

Anonymous said...

Everything is so beautiful: your photos, your lesson (so interesting), Tammy's comment, and I'm just listening to a beautiful song of Quincy Jones "The secret garden". (In bed - having headphones - I'll try to follow English words.)

It also amazes me that you can see a world as b/w. Thanks for all these explanations, my friend. I hope you feel better soon.
xo…

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

I think about everyone appreciates Quincy Jones. I wish I could stil hear music like I used to. :-(

I hope you aren't ill in bed. :-(

Pa, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's almost night in Warsaw, so I wrote about bed. It's unusually a good time for listening to music. I have a special cd by Quincy Jones (not new)which D. bought for me on Internet.

I'll come back here on weekend and I'll read your lesson once again. Your suggestions are v. important for me. I appreciate your knowledge and experience in photography.
Good night. Have sweet dreams. :-)

Anonymous said...

I forgot about all the hours difference in our time zones. Have a happy week, Jola. :-)

Mark said...

Sorry for the late response.

I like the red and blue filters for this shot. As to why one would convert color to b/w is simple for me. I think many times the mood, feel and attitude of the shot can only be felt in black and white.
Most of the time when I look at a shot I have taken I will immediately know it needs to be black and white.

The Leonids dissapointed me. I got up at 4a.m., that was to be the best time for us, and saw one.
I should have stayed in bed.

Anonymous said...

That's what I like about b/w; it is open to interpretation ... and taste.

Meteor showers are like that. Like comets, they are mostly great, but sometimes disappointing.

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive