Tuesday, November 03, 2009

"And the tree was happy"


The Giving Tree?

If you have not done so, please watch and listen to the video presented at top-right side-bar of this blog. After finding this, I realized I read this story long ago; maybe in Playboy magazine. There are complicated lessons to be learned from this seemingly simple story. Shel Silverstein was a genius.

The above photo is of an old apple tree on the farm which once belonged to my family. I think it fits The Giving Tree story.
----
The discomfort has moved from my fingers to my wrist, and two new bean-sized knots have appeared; one on the outside flank of my hand near the wrist and another atop the wrist over the joint. It could be worse; much worse.
----
Carolyn is going through the change of life; she has begun buying ground coffee instead of beans we grind ourselves. She likes Folgers and I like Starbucks, even though I have drank only one cup of that brand and it was from a vending machine at the hospital. I have yet to visit a Starbucks outlet.
----
We finally got some decent news; the hospital discounted 90 percent of Carolyn's bill. The bill wasn't as big as I thought it would be—only $23,000—so we now have to arrange payments on $2,300. The discount is through Medicaid funding supplements President Obama quietly put into place just after taking office. Thank you, Mr. President. The doctor bills are different story; together they are more than $10,000.
----
Yesterday's title quote is from the the movie The Lion King.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Lovely photo of apple tree. I like the black/white haunting aspect of it.
Now that my kids are older (21/18) the Giving Tree has a new meaning for me. I feel like that tree, eager to give my all, and happy to wait until they return to sit at my feet. There is a slight pain in my chest as I watch my babies grow their own leaves. My roots are firmly planted and I know that my growing seasons are shortened. Maybe I'll be a good stump! Thanks Shel for this lovely story that has been with me my entire life and read to me countless times by my own mother.. only now do I "get it."

Starbucks makes good coffee in the package its true and I do buy it. I'll never again pay what they ask in the store as some indifferent college student throws my expensive coffee to me over a fancy countertop. A Thermos still works pretty well (why have people stopped using them? or wearing hats for that matter)

Hospital/doc bills suck but the good news is that they can't come take your furniture or house if you only agree to pay them $15.00 per week.

Your hands sound painful to me I hope you have any kind of decent pain meds to dull the ache.

peace on tuesday

Tammy said...

Ironically, or not, my daughter was over today and we watched The Giving Tree cartoon together. I had to keep from crying like a loon. Thanks Ken, very special.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

Being the tree is good; knowing that you are the tree is most important. You probably have many, many years before you become the stump.

Glad you and your daughter got to see the movie together.

Have hats for women been in "fashion" in the last 40 years? They were still somewhat chic in the late 60's. It would be nice to see them again.

The kind of work you are doing may lead to wrist and hand problems; moderation in all (most) things ...

Mark said...

Very cool movie. I wonder how many people can watch this and not feel something. I fear too many.

The picture is perfect for the story.

Blog Archive